Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My front door, current photo
20240412_145117.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My neighbor and I are going to look at a dirt floor wood truss steel pole barn to maybe disassemble and bring home. My understanding is it's been partitioned off for horse stalls with sliding stable doors on the inside. They no longer have horses and want it gone. Free is free, kind of hard to turn down. I'll know more when I go look at it.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@farmerjan do you think the little twin got any colostrum? Is it too late to give it some now?
Have no idea but it is very lively for being so little so thinking it might have.

DS said the cow that had the last/newest calf is probably the mother... the calf with her is very small also... but he said she seems to be very upset/high strung up there in the field, and would not let him near her or the calf... so he just left her with it and did not try to bring her in. Hopefully she will raise the one at least...

Don't have any idea of the colostrum, but as active as it was, I am hoping it did get some.....Gave the calf 3/4 bottle milk replacer because it was gaunted up... wanted to make sure it did not dehydrate... Unfortunately, DS GF has decided she wants to raise it... and the poor calf will be totally separated away from any other cattle at her house in a small pen and lot... and I wound up having to supply milk replacer and the bottle for it... I am so P.O.ed over it...
DS said she will get tired of it in a few days when she has other things that need doing ... doesn't want to go out in the rain to feed it... whatever.... so it will come back to the barn with the other bottle calves I have... if she doesn't drown it by holding the bottle too high and milk goes down in it's lungs, or over feed it and it gets scours or something...
Not my calf/ from his cow... but I am NOT HAPPY about this... at all.... tired of the cater to this GF that he keeps going back to after all the cheating and all she has done... he has an obsession with her... told him point blank it isn't love, he is obsessed... yet he keeps going back... and giving in to her every whim....
Hope it survives long enough for her to get tired of it.....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I put some ice cubes in tanks water bowl when he wasn't looking. A few minutes later he started barking. Then he comes and gets me and lays down on the floor looking towards his water bowl barking.
Screenshot_20240414_232117_Gallery.jpg

I had to go pick an ice cube out of water bowl and give to him. He eat it then he went back and bobbed the remaining ice cubes out of his bowl and made a mess. But I was prepared with hand towel to clean up after him.

His reaction to ice cubes in his water bowl was comical, FB was laughing pretty hard. The pup now likes ice cubes, probably felt good on his teeth.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Teaching my aussies to sit up was hilarious. They kept falling over.

We went from Shake to Other paw (which ever they didn't shake with first time). Then High Five. Then Wave.

Down also has a Head Down modifier. They learned that fast and Head Down is Hermes' go to to beg for a treat as he figured out he can purposely do just the head on my leg.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son gives my cattle dog (19 months) an ice cube every nite before our dinner. He makes him shake and then shake other. Shake is the right paw and shake other is the left paw. Took a couple of months for Maverick to "get" the shake paw up. He must be left pawed....
We don't throw away any meat that has been cooked. We have a container in the refrigerator for dog treats, left over meat chunks. I taught tank to sit and shake using meat treats.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi all! Sorry I disappeared so long been outside for most days then had dentist appointments so been busy.
60 DAYS TO GO as of today and had some very very sad news delivered to me today- a close friend the one I was going on shopping trips with passed away UNEXPECTEDLY! I saw her on Sat afternoon she was good, eating drinking, walking around with a walker making jokes even asked me "r u ready?" I replied Yup let's go. I should have given her longer hug