Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Took little granddaughters riding on Pearl, the horse. Tomorrow, going to a movie. 14 year old staying with a friend. Their parents are in Italy. They REALLY wanted to get FAR away from kids! :lol: We have their 3 dogs too.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Italy is a lovely country. Hope they go to Pompeii! Unreal. Rome also lovely....coffee and gelato everywhere. Are they on a "tour group" vacay?

Meanwhile, enjoy those grandbabies!!!! Have fun.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Took little granddaughters riding on Pearl, the horse. Tomorrow, going to a movie. 14 year old staying with a friend. Their parents are in Italy. They REALLY wanted to get FAR away from kids! :lol: We have their 3 dogs too.
Rocking Grandma 👍

We are also inadated with grand children the last few weeks. Man if I we're only 36 years younger again. I would keep my wife barefoot and pregnant. Oh wait... I already did that, second times a charm? 😂

Kids are absolutely The Bomb Dot Com.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They went to Pompeii and Naples, and the Collesuem. Kids are having fun, going to movie today. Raining, dogs in crates, whining. I pushed them outside earlier, let them in, fed, water, back in crate. Cinnamon toast for breakfast! Giving dogs time to need to go poop. Will push back outside then they can come in and play.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

How often do you see beautiful yards when you are out driving? How often do you actually see someone out enjoying those beautiful yards? Glad you can take the time to enjoy!
Thanks, that really means a lot, considering how much of a mess the place was when we bought it. Wife and I put in a lot of hard work into cleaning the place up, including garbage mountain. Which if I had known it was there hidden in shoulder high weeds, I would have had removal written into the contract.

I followed FarmerJan's advise about bush hogging the pastures before the weeds seed but after the grasses seed (it has much to do with timing). This really helped rejuvenate the pastures with editable grasses and clovers. All I can say is, @FamerJan is very smart, I'm glad she is willing to share her knowledge. It's still a work in progress, but I'm starting to feel a lot better about putting grazing hooves in the pastures now.

As for enjoying the outside, well it's just a natural thing to do when the weather's nice. And it also helps that my wife tells the childern to "Go outside and get fresh air" 😂

We did have a bit of a snake scare. Junebug came running up to me said she saw a snake. I said what color is it? She said black with white circles. I said you mean white lines that circle it's body? She said how did you know? I said that's a King Snake a good snake, it eats other bad snakes. So just leave it alone, OK?. She said OK and that was that. I've seen several common king snakes on the property. I just leave them alone to do their snake thing. I'll only kill a snake, if it has a triangle head.

Common, King Snake, internet image - for reference. Timid and un-agressive, usually quickly get away from you.
download (7).jpeg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@baymule - It's a good thing your son was in a truck. He probably would have had more injuries if he was in a car. God had his hand on him.

@Lazy Gardener - I hardly ever see anyone outside anymore. I can understand why here. It's usually so hot and the skeeters/buffalo gnats eat you alive.

@CrealCritter - So glad you were able to take some time out & enjoy family & friends. Children are a gift from God. I'm so glad I get to spend time with my granddaughter. She is a delight!

We got some decent rain yesterday. About 1" in the morning then another 1/2" in the evening. Of course, when the storm was almost over, we lost our lights around 7:30pm. They didn't come back on till midnight. *sigh* This morning has been nice & cool for July.

Tomatoes are still growing, just not putting out much since temps are in the 90's. They still look good, so going to leave them and let them start blooming for the fall.

Squash & green beans are done. I'll be getting ready to replant in a week or so. I'm going back to planting rattlesnake green beans. They produce so much better for me. I only got about 12 qts of the blue lake/kentucky wonder that I planted in the spring.

The bush beans never really put out. A lot of blooms, but hardly any beans. I'm pulling a few at a time to feed to my chickens. They have started laying for about a week now. Small eggs, but so tasty!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We visited some folks about 18 miles away from us today. According to their rain ga. they got at least 5" of rain during the Fri/Sat rains. May have been more, but that's all the ga. held.