Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Snow caught me by surprise. it was cool yesterday, in the 40's. Then it just snowed overnight 🤔, didn't see that one coming. Looks like a good couple of inches of snow out there

Neighbor was doing some redneck sledding this morning. Pulling his kids around behind a 4 wheeler. His kids had a great time, laughing, hootin' -n hollerin'. Happy children, it's like the sound of heaven to me ❤️.

I just watered the cattle, hose was not froze. Now I need to go drain the water out of it, so I can water them again tomorrow.

I guess winter is here, we actually had fall this year which was so nice 👍
Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
I think your snow is into sw/central Ohio. A good 90 minutes south of us, so just mid 30s temps here with clouds

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think your snow is into sw/central Ohio. A good 90 minutes south of us, so just mid 30s temps here with clouds
Well ain't that just something special... You're north of me and we get the snow 🙄. I'm not complaining ☝️

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...My sons days off land on they full week, so 7 of our 11 grand kids will together. We are having Thanksgiving dinner at our sons house, DDIL's parents will be there too,
sorry for the ramble I do feel better just typing it out :gig, 😎,

haha! i get stressed just reading it. i'm not used to being around a lot of people any more. i hope it all works out and everyone is happy and has fun seeing each other. :)

we are having dinner here and as far as i know there will be three of us. i hope that is how it stays. i'm ready for a quiet week of not much. chuck roast, taters, mushrooms, onions, carrotses. Mom is going to make red velvet cake with what i call pepto bismol frosting - it's that color...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I decided to pop on here for a minute this morning to report some sad news. Denim Deb's father died early this morning. I just thought some of you might like to pray for her.
Thanks for letting us know, prayer sent.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did not participate when she was active, but I have read some of her posts. My condolences also. I lost both my parents last year within 3 months of each other... it is a tough thing.

@CrealCritter .. an angus bull should not be a problem if he is an easy calving bull... you do need to ask about that... what size are his average calves. We have 2 easy calving bulls... they get ranked by their EPD's and all that... we bought them as "heifer bulls"... meaning they should be safe for breeding heifers as their "stats" say they will throw smaller calves... thus the "easy calving" designation. We still have both of them... alternate them on our heifers and smaller cows... the calves average less than 60 lbs or so... they just pop them right out. Our heifers are probably 850-950 lbs when they calve... but being first time, they have to get "stretched out" a bit as they calve.
The cow does control the size of the calf to a great extent... but an easy calving bull, or "heifer bull" will also put a smaller frame on the calf which will help.
If you go A.I. route.... use an easy calving bull regardless since your animals are smaller due to their breeding. Stay away from simmental, charolais, other big boned breeds. If you have 2 people that do breeding, ask their opinion ahead of time. If they have their own semen (nitrogen) tanks, find out where they get their semen and see if they can get what you want without mortgaging your house.... Select Sires even got me some Wagyu semen back awhile ago.... they do not promote it but do have some...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also, @CrealCritter ... You want to breed for when the calf is going to be born... Unless you are prepared to deal with the winter... do not breed until June for a calf the following March... If you breed in the spring you are looking at a Dec or Jan calf... NOT advisable except in some of the southern states to help with reduced fly and worm populations. There is nothing worse than a calf born in Dec or Jan in a -20 * day and the momma not knowing what she is doing in the case of a heifer with her first calf. Even a cow can sometimes have trouble getting that calf cleaned up and it on it's feet in that kind of miserable cold... Don't invite trouble.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I decided to pop on here for a minute this morning to report some sad news. Denim Deb's father died early this morning. I just thought some of you might like to pray for her.
Hi @Farmfresh , it's good to see you again! I hope you are well! So sorry to hear, please pass on a hug to Denim Deb. :(