Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For u @baymule ....😁 the spotted..

View attachment 21398
View attachment 21399
I bought her dad this summer. Bought her 2 months ago and left to be bred to this guy..
View attachment 21400

Like with your sheep, others cattle, etc...it's a little sad to bring such examples of great into the world for the sole purpose of food. A hard thing that we must deal with as livestock breeders. 😐
I love the moon spots! Eye candy for sure. And that buck! He is awesome.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need to set out another hay round tomorrow. Then I'll have 17 hay rounds left for winter. I think I'll have enough for winter. Cattle are on the hay when they pastures are frozen or snowy. But the prefer to graze fresh pasture grasses over eating hay. I believe I have enough hay, but my neighbor told me to just go and get some of his, if I need any. It's a long ride on the tractor but if I need to I will. I'm very thankful the hay around here was cut both in spring and summer, before the rains dried up and we have a local abundance \o/

We were in severe drought, with the very southern tip of Illinois (where the Mississippi and Ohio rivers meet) under extreme drought. Still with all this drought business, we were fortunate. In comparison to just west of us. Brown color = Exceptional Drought, Red color = Extreme Drought. My prayers are with all impacted by drought.

I circled in green for drought conditions around my neck of the woods. More info here https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu
Screenshot_20221128-002746.png

I'm also very thankful we got rain Thursday, then again Saturday and Sunday (today). It was south and east Texas sending us a little love in the form of rain 😘 Perhaps we all will get back to more of a "normal" rain pattern, if there is such a thing as normal.

Anyways, time for rest.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 2 ponds still aren’t full. We’ve had rain and more coming. The ground is so thirsty that most of the rain soaks in. A hard rain will run off. Those ponds released enough water over the 103F summer to keep grass around them green. One dried up to a green slimy puddle the other one got extremely low. Need more rain!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! Another gorgeous sunny day today. Rain tomorrow, then 2 days of sunshine and then more cloudy days and rain.

After spending a week inside with Cousin Covid and Queen Quarantine, I stayed outside all day yesterday. I walked fence rows, what a MESS!

This is the front fence row by the road. There IS a fence in there! It is barb wire and will have to come down, to be replaced with sheep and goat wire.

0EAF5F0F-CC40-4540-8CF7-A7641F71B6F2.jpeg

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello! I took a 5 day break from here, I missed everyone but it was so nice to just be connected in with my kids, DH and stuff that needed to happen around the house. Just a basic week here, we didn't do anything special for Thanksgiving, it seems to have changed so much since I was a kid. We had some amazing weather so we got a lot of the area by where we want to put the house at the new property cleared out. DH put in a new motion activated light on the side of the barn that faces the chicken coop, so that is nice. I put in 2 new pallets for herbs/lettuce next to the coop for next spring, for the chickens :) Lots of outside time, the kids did a lot of Just Dance on the TV (no Wii here but used YouTube), spent hours at the library on Sat and the youngest learned how to play chess and then I did a little online shopping for some things we needed to upgrade or add to the house. I got a goose down comforter for my bed for $29! Hope everyone is doing well, happy Monday.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! Another gorgeous sunny day today. Rain tomorrow, then 2 days of sunshine and then more cloudy days and rain.

After spending a week inside with Cousin Covid and Queen Quarantine, I stayed outside all day yesterday. I walked fence rows, what a MESS!

This is the front fence row by the road. There IS a fence in there! It is barb wire and will have to come down, to be replaced with sheep and goat wire.

View attachment 21404
I have a row like that also but it's woven wire :( hard to clean up overgrown woven wire. I'm going to wait until the dead of winter which should be easier, hopefully.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 2 ponds still aren’t full. We’ve had rain and more coming. The ground is so thirsty that most of the rain soaks in. A hard rain will run off. Those ponds released enough water over the 103F summer to keep grass around them green. One dried up to a green slimy puddle the other one got extremely low. Need more rain!
Yes we do need more rain.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know why I bother putting on clean clothes. My family says I dress like I'm homeless. I laugh at them and say you dress like a city slicker. Seriously though, would you put on good duds to go play in the mud and bovine droppings? On second thought don't answer that, I already know the answer 😂 I don't even look where I'm walking anymore, that's what muck boots are for. Am I complaining? NOPE, I'm not complaining, not complaining one little☝️😁

I flooded the tractor getting it started, had to wait about an hour, then it fired right up. Note to self, ditch those Champion plugs, they won't fire when wet. But Yay new hay and some green grass starting to grow in the foreground 😋
IMG_20221128_115925982.jpg

crazy quacken and guineas decided the cattle pasture was a good place to explore 🙄 had to "herd" them out of the gate. Get back on the tractor and they go back in the pasture 🙄. Herd them back out the gate again and run them far enough away to get the tractor out of the gate and chain the gate closed, park the tractor, now done phew.

As much bovine droppings that are in this pasture we might have super grass come spring 😂

Latest posts