Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
20 degrees overcast light wind and about an 3/4 inch or so of ice covering most everything, skating rink out there. I heard my neighbor yelling in a high pitched voice, sounded like "help me" I walked over there. Kids are off school today and one was yelling for the dog 😂. I thought someone got hurt, very glad that was not the case. Sound travels far in the country.

Living in the country we need to be careful and look out for each other. It would take the ambulance a long time to get here, even longer on a day like today.

Another neighbor did the same for me last winter. He heard my chainsaw, then heard it idling for a while. He came and checked up on me to make sure I didn't get hurt.

You all please be careful if you got this ice storm.

1John 4:7-21

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bundled up DS7 and sent him to the bus stop (1/4 mile away) at ... -21 degrees F. thick hat, hood face mask wool gaiter, scarf, extra sweatshirt, coat, bib snowpants, 2 pairs of gloves... uff. I was glad to stay inside. Unbelievable that DS7 doesn't complain about going out to the bus.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bundled up DS7 and sent him to the bus stop (1/4 mile away) at ... -21 degrees F. thick hat, hood face mask wool gaiter, scarf, extra sweatshirt, coat, bib snowpants, 2 pairs of gloves... uff. I was glad to stay inside. Unbelievable that DS7 doesn't complain about going out to the bus.
Wow -21 degrees F 😳 Thankful to be 20 degrees.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not -21F but 16F is cold enough for me.

Farm babe is in the house, I rather she stay in the house instead of risk a fall on the ice. Us boys and the baby chickens are "ruffing it" in the cave. Here we are getting warm by the wood stove.
IMG_20230131_192534166.jpg

I enjoyed my day, I hope you did also.

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone! Happy HUMP Day!!!!!!!
Right now it's 36 here (actually feels a little colder than that) with rain. FH didn't get the "call" at all yesterday but at least he was prepared just in case. We live an hour away from where he works so it would have been a waste of gas (especially with the prices the way they are) if he would have had gotten the call just to come home to get his meds and such. Every year as soon as it turns Winter I pack a duffel bag with clothes and other essential items in it which he keeps in the car so he's sort of prepared. He also has a throw blanket and a couple small pillows seeing how he is normally out there for hours (sometimes even days) for snow removal.
Coffee is ready and it's hot.
I'm feeling a little better today seeing how my allergies decided to start bothering me on Saturday.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s 33F and pouring rain again. It’s coming down in buckets. If I was in Lindale, I’d be snowed in. I’m just on the edge of the rain or snow line. Crockett, 20 miles away, has snow. The sheep pens are awful. Pastures are in standing water, well, right now, running water.

I have my last day of therapy this morning. I don’t know if I can even get out. Water runs over the road just past my driveway. I’ve driven through it before. The school bus runs at 7:00, it’s still dark. I don’t envy that bus driver, traveling all these country backroads in bad weather, in the dark. At least I’ll be able to see, if I can’t see the bottom, I’m going back home.

It is storming and it’s going to do it again tomorrow. Then finally we will get some sunny days and cloudy days but no rain.

Talked to @Devonviolet yesterday. Tree limbs were breaking off from the ice load. They are only 163 miles north of me. A big branch fell on their goat shed. I hope they keep power.

I am so ready for a real barn for my animals. I’ll have to haul in dirt to build it up before I build the barn so it doesn’t become a swamp.

Whole farm is a swamp.

My friend Chris came over yesterday with his 4WD truck and pulled my trailer out where I can hook onto it.

As I was feeding yesterday evening, my boot got stuck in the muck just as I was navigating a turn, and down I went in the liquid poop and mud. Fortunately I landed on my butt. If I had of done a face plant, my screaming curses would have peeled bark off trees for a mile away. Dogs thought I wanted to play. By the time I rolled around to get up, I was fully saturated. Finished chores, stripped in utility room, put clothes in washer and headed for a shower.

More rain storms tomorrow then 6 days of no rain.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
School bus just ran! :weee Maybe I can make it to the paved road so I can go to my last day of therapy!

Latest posts