Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Green grass will go a long way to slicking Romeo out. There are nutrients and vitamins in fresh grass that you just can’t give him in feed and hay.

Coffee is ready! Gonna hit 79F degrees today. I have to take the last piece of paper I was waiting on, to the CPA in Livingston this morning. Then she can do her magic and I’m done with taxes.

Had a ewe breech birth Sunday morning. Lamb was dead and I had to pull it. Gave ewe shot of antibiotics. She got up, a little worse for wear, stayed close to the night pen, but grazed that fresh green grass. I’ll be watching her closely to make sure she is ok. Get her over this, all healed up and try again in May.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Once you get the worming protocol done that you are using, do not keep worming them regularly. They will never develop any resistance to worms with regular worming. Some animals tend to not be able to handle worm loads and they need to be culled. As an animal matures, their systems can handle a certain worm load and it is good to try to breed worm resistance into them.
And do not keep changing wormers... it causes the worms to build up resistance to all the wormers and then you do not have one to go to if they seem wormy. That said, we do not worm anything on the farm except bought cattle, and the feeders are mostly all wormed ONCE after they are weaned..... then only an occasional adult that is thin or looking a little peaked... and we cull if they need worming frequently.

Plus, you are not anywhere near overstocked, so they should be able to graze without constantly ingesting worm larvae on the grass stems just because they have much greater choice. Over crowded conditions are more likely to cause the animals to constantly be eating closer to the ground and most worm infestations are in the lowest 1-4 inches of the grass.
Some animals also have rougher coats... Romeo may just be one that does not slick down as much. And it could be that he had a lack of certain trace minerals where he was and with a new summer coat and the old coat gone, he will look better. I look more towards nutrition... especially trace minerals, as a reason for poor hair coats, and lack of shedding in the spring.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, I’m sorry about the lamb. :( Was it one of Ringo’s?:hit
Green grass will go a long way to slicking Romeo out. There are nutrients and vitamins in fresh grass that you just can’t give him in feed and hay.

Coffee is ready! Gonna hit 79F degrees today. I have to take the last piece of paper I was waiting on, to the CPA in Livingston this morning. Then she can do her magic and I’m done with taxes.

Had a ewe breech birth Sunday morning. Lamb was dead and I had to pull it. Gave ewe shot of antibiotics. She got up, a little worse for wear, stayed close to the night pen, but grazed that fresh green grass. I’ll be watching her closely to make sure she is ok. Get her over this, all healed up and try again in May.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Once you get the worming protocol done that you are using, do not keep worming them regularly. They will never develop any resistance to worms with regular worming. Some animals tend to not be able to handle worm loads and they need to be culled. As an animal matures, their systems can handle a certain worm load and it is good to try to breed worm resistance into them.
And do not keep changing wormers... it causes the worms to build up resistance to all the wormers and then you do not have one to go to if they seem wormy. That said, we do not worm anything on the farm except bought cattle, and the feeders are mostly all wormed ONCE after they are weaned..... then only an occasional adult that is thin or looking a little peaked... and we cull if they need worming frequently.

Plus, you are not anywhere near overstocked, so they should be able to graze without constantly ingesting worm larvae on the grass stems just because they have much greater choice. Over crowded conditions are more likely to cause the animals to constantly be eating closer to the ground and most worm infestations are in the lowest 1-4 inches of the grass.
Some animals also have rougher coats... Romeo may just be one that does not slick down as much. And it could be that he had a lack of certain trace minerals where he was and with a new summer coat and the old coat gone, he will look better. I look more towards nutrition... especially trace minerals, as a reason for poor hair coats, and lack of shedding in the spring.
Good? I also have a mineral lick block set out for them also. I set it out the beginning of winter.
IMG_20230327_120608310~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You've been using ivermectin, the pellets are safeguard. Feed separately to be each head of cattle or you don't know if each got dose needed.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning ALL!
Just got done checking on the news here. Even though I don't have any cattle or any other livestock THANK YOU ALL for that information. It was very educational and I really appreciate it just in case I ever get into a position where I am able to have livestock or assist others in the care of their livestock.
Last night as I was watching the saddest news ever was reported, a private school in Nashville, TN lost three children and 3 adults due to a school shooter and the Palmer Chocolate Factory in PA exploded on Sat. Why such hate in this day and age? I remember when I was in school, I got bullied every day and never once thought about causing harm to myself or the entire school.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww, I’m sorry about the lamb. :( Was it one of Ringo’s?:hit
No, it was Cooper’s lamb. I have several ewes that were bred to Ringo, still due. 2 are very heavy, huge bellies. 3 are registered, they were with him up until he died. So we’ll see what I get.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready! It’s a rainy, drizzly morning and 54F degrees. Sheep are huddled up in their shelters. Dessa, the ewe with the dead lamb, is doing better. She kept up with the flock yesterday. Time to start chores, but I’m all snug and warm in my sloppy sweats and cuddled under an afgan. No ambition. Dirty Birdies on the porch need their tubs cleaned up this morning. 5 minutes later you’d never know I just cleaned them. Already looking forward to them being in the freezer. Even in a chicken tractor moved daily or twice daily, the Cornish Cross are some nasty poop masters. That’s why I call them Dirty Birdies.