Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I put 10 chickens on ice yesterday. I have 5 in the freezer so far. Once in the house, I spend about an hour, fine picking the blasted things. I’m not doing this again. Next time I will have a plucker. I may even get red broilers. Supposedly they are a little more active than the Big White Blobs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've read the reds are more active, so a little less prone to just die on you. Yep, slightly less breast size and maybe couple weeks longer to reach size. 🤷. Taste tests I've seen say not much flavor difference.

Ya know you can make a plucker with a drill and few things more. One chicken at a time but $$ for is less. If you're going to keep doing, ya need a plucker! Rent it for a day to others? With care, deposit, ID and all that. :old maybe next time you won't have so much rain. 🤞

Did my errands, got truck inspected, went to work, came home. Very breezy, coolish, overcast and rain front rolling in. I'll wander on out and milk a little bit early, do feeding...get back in before weather turns bad. Then chill. Need to make cheese to use up a couple gal of milk -- and cook some eggs!!! Just glad it's not time to can yet -- time gets stretched beyond normal then.😵‍💫🤷🥰

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son and I took t-bone to the locker bright and early Monday morning. Here's his picture Sunday evening secured in the corral.
IMG_20230514_183618411~2.jpg

Nugget also rejoined the other cattle Sunday evening. He's the one in the foreground rubbing heads with bessey. My neighbor thinks romeo did his thing with oreo and bessey he said both are wide, appear to be carrying calf.
IMG_20230514_172954459~2.jpg

But... They need to quit being personalities and get busy, pastures need moowing.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CC is Romeo your neighbor's? Moo support,lol
Romeo is ours, my neighbor had about 30 head of cattle and has taking a liking to romeo. I got a good look at bessey today. Now I'm in agreement with my neighbor. She's most definitely changed and widened up. I believe she's carrying a calf. I probably shouldn't forget to get what I need to pull a calf if I need too.

f96015f2173ec3b5.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸