Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Local farmer's market starts up again tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to reconnecting with with my suppliers!
Had a great convo with one of CSA farmers I have known a long time (coached my son's youth baseball team). He is striving towards organic certification. We had a conversation last summer about some of my solutions for stuff like powdery mildew and bugs. He was so excited to tell me my advice helped him research some more solutions and was looking forward to apply them.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
She won't know where it is now that it's moved. IMO you might as well toss if it can't be placed at original site.
She has gone to the pipe since we moved it. No, it can't be placed in original site that was in my bathroom exhaust pipe which was replaced but the pipe is currently laying on the ground where other wild animals can get to it and it will kill my grass!!!!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did manage to get a glass of water for breakfast before having to head out and water and then planted some beans and then weeded until i got tired enough to come in and check what time it was. nearly 11am already? so that was plenty enough for now, will have to water later

also will have to check traps, buckets, etc. for chipmunks. boogers are already raiding the strawberries. i had my eye on one that was getting ready to be ripe enough, but it was gone this morning. picked up several others that were sitting around with bites taken out of them... i pick them up since i don't want them to attract yet other creatures and those will be fed to the worm buckets. the worms may get some before i do!

today will be a short day as a brother is expected to stop by for lunch.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good Morning all! Have a blessed Saturday all!!!
Okay, which one of you decided to empty the coffee pot without making more @Grandmas Porch , @baymule, @Mini Horses, @tortoise or was it @frustratedearthmother ????
Yesterday evening a coworker of FH stopped by to do some work for us that's out of mine and FH league or too high for us (we both like keeping our feet planted on firm ground) and when that co-worker put the new accordion pipe in for the exhaust fan we found a nest (almost filled the old pipe) with 5 eggs in it. Right now I still have that old pipe laying on the ground seeing how I don't know to move the nest with the eggs seeing how I want Mama Bird to still sit on them. Yes, I have a spot picked to put the nest once I figure out how to move the nest without touching the eggs so any advice I'm given will be a step in a good direction. I don't want to leave the pipe on the ground for the wild animals to get too either. I've never had to do something like that before either.

An empty coffee pot during waking hours and expecially in the morning, is almost a sin.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter we need some pictures of the marbling... and weight statistics... :bow Please....
Well live weight just shy of 1400 lbs. Not showing 30 month teeth so we got bone-in cuts (preferred) plus soup bones and oxtail . Each side hung a little more than 400 lbs and was dry aged 14 days. Processor said he was "ideal" when I pickup up our side. Two of my son's split a side and we got the other side. All momma's (farmbabe and daughter in laws) are happy which is what's important ♥️

I finished him with cracked corn, commodity, free choice pasture grass, mineral lick and fresh water for 45 days. My neighbor looked him over about three months before processing date and said he really didn't need a long finishing time since he already had good fat cover, so I did 45 day finish ration. I guess technically speaking, that's grass fed, corn finished.

I'll get some pics later this evening and post for you.

Edit...
Ribeye picture
IMG_20230603_214223319~3.jpg

Edit edit... Does anyone know what cut is called "broiling beef"? IDK... Also this processor calls the hanger steak a "hanging tender"

Broiling beef cut, it's pretty thick.
IMG_20230603_221210981.jpg

IMG_20230603_221221772.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very nice looking meat. Well marbled. You would not even had to do much of a "finishing ration"... he was in a good gaining state with the good grass there... He did real good for you. !!!!
If everyone is happy then that's GREAT.

I like the "bone in steaks " like T-bones... but the boneless rib eye and NY strip take up so much less room in the freezer... I also get all the bones I can back...sirloin and all have bones since it is not along the backbone area with the spinal cord...... Backbones have so much meat on them that they do real good if done up with "short ribs" as BBQ ribs.... I actually prefer the backbones done that way because of more meat than the ribs.

Did you get back any of the fat? Tallow actually? great for suet stuff for the birds in winter and for anything you want extra fat for...

Latest posts