Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Very nice looking meat. Well marbled. You would not even had to do much of a "finishing ration"... he was in a good gaining state with the good grass there... He did real good for you. !!!!
If everyone is happy then that's GREAT.

I like the "bone in steaks " like T-bones... but the boneless rib eye and NY strip take up so much less room in the freezer... I also get all the bones I can back...sirloin and all have bones since it is not along the backbone area with the spinal cord...... Backbones have so much meat on them that they do real good if done up with "short ribs" as BBQ ribs.... I actually prefer the backbones done that way because of more meat than the ribs.

Did you get back any of the fat? Tallow actually? great for suet stuff for the birds in winter and for anything you want extra fat for...
No tallow they don't even ask,.maybe I should ask. But my wife has been saving some fat when she cooks roasts and other fatty cuts.

I'm pretty happy with the way the meat turned out, for my very first finished steer attempt. I like the other processor better though and they are closer. But I wanted to get him in before he got any older.

Calving will be the next adventure... Romeo bread them the beginning and middle of May. They should calf in February or March.

Thanks for getting me started in the right direction. All the way from getting the pastures in shape, to fencing and raising cattle. You are a wealth of knowledge, we are blessed that you freely share your wisdom with us all. 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good SUNDAY Morning all!
There's a 1/2 pot remaining (I've been up since 3) but FH isn't up yet so please please save him a least 1 cup!!!! He's a bear when he doesn't have at least 1 cup.
While waiting for him I've had a very productive morning after not feeling like doing anything for the past couple of days. First I swept/mopped kitchen then moved a couple shelves/ cupboards around then took Savage out to kennel once the sun chased the dark away, cleaned out car (FH thinks car is work vehicle!!!! LoL), came in cleaned out fridge (monthly shopping trip today) now I need to take garbage out to the outside can (which I'll do that once I take Sophie and Remie out to potty), sweep living room. OOps, I hear FH starting to wake so I need to finish tending to things before he actually gets up.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter that's pretty meat!!

@Country homesteader that's a lot of work already.😁

I'm heading to the back fields for more OLD fence removal, for new fence install. I've got at least a week of fence chores...been neglected for past couple yrs. While many were home in COVID, with schools out, etc -- those of us who could/would go to work had 50-60 hr weeks. Yeah, things were rough. Now catch up at farm 👍😁. If new lasts another 20 yrs, I'm good. I'll be 97 and won't give a rats ass about it. :old :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ed161f400c404ad3.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farmbabe's beloved clothes dryer stopped heating. It's a old one (Kenmore). I really don't know how old it is but it's old. Has two buttons a rotary dial and a start button. I fixed this dryer at least 6 times that I can remember. She was disappointed when I told her she needs a new dryer. I'm sure it's the heating element again, it'll be the third one I've put in it. Sears ain't even in business anymore, let alone finding a new heating element for it. The last one I had to buy from China.

So I took her to Menards to buy a new dryer. She looked them over and said what's with all these buttons and digital displays? I just need two buttons. Well we found one with two buttons the least expensive of all of them. She said this is the one I want. So we bought it and I told her let's have it delivered. She looked at me all puzzled. I said look by the time we go back home, get farm truck have the guys load this dryer and the drive home is going to be a good 3 hours, then I have to coordinate with someone to help me get it into the basement basicly I'm looking at a whole day wasted. $75.00 delivery is worth it to me. Then the guy tried to sell us disposable of the old drier $20.00 and hook up new cord $57.00 plus $20.00 to turn 7 screws. I'm like nah I can do that part.myself. Oh and we recommend 3 year extended warranty, no thanks, I felt like I was buying a new car or something 🙄 They will only install a brand new cord. There's nothing wrong with the cord I have. And I can probably get $20.00 at the scrap yard for the old drier. I bet a lot of people fall for all the mark-ups 👎 we got the old dryer out of the basement. I told her just have the delivery guys set it in the basement and I'll hook it up.

anyways new dryer will be here tomorrow, I hope she likes it as well as her beloved old one. I think I may convert her old dryer in it to a chicken plucker maching 😂

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
After 15 hours yesterday, made it home a little after 10pm last night. Held up by three horrible wrecks. Last one was a 2 hour wait. Multiple cars and semis. Walmart trailer full of produce split in two. Haven't found any news reports on it yet.

Stumbling towards the kitchen....c.o.f.f.e.e....