Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter looks like the calves have "buddied up" well 😁 In that pic, looks like one mom is babysitting, giving others a break 💕

Fall cooling around here. 65 up to 75 today. Nice. Still overcast and wet out but, it'll clear some later. Back to job work this week. Hung out at home last week, in a non productive funk. :idunnoneed to energize with an attitude adjustment.

Time for cup #2.
That's daisy (the bashful), she's really changed since becoming a momma moo and is more like a mother duck now and no longer bashful.

Daisy is my favorite and the smallest of the cows, she delivered first and the smallest calf. I was conserned about her the most because she and he were both small. We put them both in the finishing yard for several days to keep an eye on them. I didn't see him nurse right away, although he may have, I just didn't see it. So we fed her calf a little colostrum, just as a precaution.

I think you already know... But It's vital a newborn calf receive colostrum within a few hours of its birth. Colostrum is a critical source of antibodies, specialized proteins that provide protection against infectious diseases, including those caused by bacteria and viruses.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't want dry. I know I complained about the rain last winter, but I've never lived as an adult where it rains sooooo much!

We get as much or more rain here in November than my hometown gets in a year. Mom talks about getting heavy rain and I'm like "Meh that's normal light rain."

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
think you already know... But It's vital a newborn calf receive colostrum within a few hours of its birth. Colostrum is a critical source of antibodies, specialized proteins that provide protection against infectious diseases, including those caused by bacteria and viruses.
Same with all mammals. I make sure I see baby goats nursing within just a couple hrs. Used to be foals...😂. They were easier since there was less territory to find the teat. Goats -- and cows-- things are hanging and blowing in the breeze, so to speak. But after a couple hits, the babes are pros!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1695714439019.jpeg

IT's all by the coffee pot, brew a cup or pour a glass from the cold coffee in fridge then head out to patio in the 61 morning air. I'm going to take a nap for a couple hours (been up since 1:15 FH had to get up very early seeing how they are working out of town this week)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That wasn't "get up early" -- that was getting up from a nap, send FH out and NOW go to bed. 🤔🤫

I have a couple things to get done today, so those things stop waking me up! Uneventful sleep is better rest.
Coffee -- fresh pot just finished. Need a cup :caf

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Tuesday!
It is and has been torrential down pouring since Sunday . We so need it, the pine trees are going to be all dyeing off come next spring if we dont get the water.
Had a good Sunday, did a burrito bar for the whole family and 2 extra from church. 14 kids , everyone got along and ran in the rain all over the property playing run from the bear hahahaha :confused: They found the asian pear tree that the pears were not quite ripe -- yes they ate them :idunnoOh WELL,, not the end of the world
I spent yesterday vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, washing towels , picking up legos. I got <<OH WOW<<< the rain is so loud right now >>> I got tarps put up along the hanging tool side =north and the gate side =east of the chicken over hang, the way the rain blows in ,,I need this area to be the chickens dry place,,
Technically sun rise wont be till 7:04am but rooster has been at it since 5,,,, I am not done with cup #1 yet, he can wait.

The poor tomatoes,, I pray the make it through this rain without getting all funky
Today,, I have a load of wash to do, catch up on my reading, test the apples again for ripeness, to a lot in this rain, I may need to pick the remaining chilies, I was letting them turn red,,,,,
Tomorrow , I need to go pick up a box of beef bones at the farm, the Azure order, and my RX at costco.

Well,, have a great day,,, I need more coffee :caf and catch up on KOMO 4 news

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee ! Finished with second cup, now a decision, 2 scrambled eggs or go do chores? I think I’ll do chores. Yesterday early morning I got 1 1/4” of rain. Today it’s foggy and dewy wet. So happy for rain. I worked outside all day, was getting tired when a pop up shower rained on me. Sweaty, dirty, rained on, I took an early shower and cooked supper.

Today, things to do, I just have to get started on them!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee ! Finished with second cup, now a decision, 2 scrambled eggs or go do chores? I think I’ll do chores. Yesterday early morning I got 1 1/4” of rain. Today it’s foggy and dewy wet. So happy for rain. I worked outside all day, was getting tired when a pop up shower rained on me. Sweaty, dirty, rained on, I took an early shower and cooked supper.

Today, things to do, I just have to get started on them!
Ya,,, its 6:25 here,, so I and wait a bit before opening the coop

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter ; Calves, and most baby animals, seem to make a huge "growth spurt" in the first 2-3 weeks... but it is actually natures way for them to be a little "skinny and light weight" when being born to make the passage easier by them not being too bulky... just all legs and angles, and very flexible in the birth canal, so to speak.
Then once they get the very rich colostrum in for the antibody protection.... AND it is to help along the passage of the meconium plug in the intestines/bowel so the animal can then pass manure normally....the high fat will help them to quickly "round out" and all that loose skin gets "filled in" .... they go from all angles to little rounded out bodies..... and the rich early milk also gives them energy so they become all little bursts of energy and then just stop and drop and go to sleep for a bit... to get up and start all over again...
And they will mimic momma with trying the grass and tasting the water and such right from early on, which will set them up for learning to actually eat when the milk is not enough to satisfy their hunger....

YEP, they are cuteness......

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter ; Calves, and most baby animals, seem to make a huge "growth spurt" in the first 2-3 weeks... but it is actually natures way for them to be a little "skinny and light weight" when being born to make the passage easier by them not being too bulky... just all legs and angles, and very flexible in the birth canal, so to speak.
Then once they get the very rich colostrum in for the antibody protection.... AND it is to help along the passage of the meconium plug in the intestines/bowel so the animal can then pass manure normally....the high fat will help them to quickly "round out" and all that loose skin gets "filled in" .... they go from all angles to little rounded out bodies..... and the rich early milk also gives them energy so they become all little bursts of energy and then just stop and drop and go to sleep for a bit... to get up and start all over again...
And they will mimic momma with trying the grass and tasting the water and such right from early on, which will set them up for learning to actually eat when the milk is not enough to satisfy their hunger....

YEP, they are cuteness......
They are cute no doubt...

But you missed all the fun banding them.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸