Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I turned water off Saturday night and drained pipes. Will get above freezing on Wednesday. Not worth a busted pipe, I have water drawn up in the house and a big black stock tub outside that I can break ice on and dip out water. Sheep have a new round bale and lots of deep bedding. Supposed to sleet today. If I had any gumption at all, I’d be outside now, to beat the sleet, but I’m gonna finish my coffee……

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:caf 🥶 Good cold Monday Morning to you all,

I got up at 5am, it was a nice 21 out, glad it was not colder. Went out at 6:20 to the coop, the water was frozen, and all the flock was down off the roost waiting for me to turn the light on, lolo , I replaced the water and scooped the frozen poop, cracked the door open just enough for them to slip in and out. The coop was 20 degrees, but I am glad we are going to warm up a bit today-- accuweather says 2pm = 36degrees
Rain due in by Wed and temps will go back up to 44 and and maybe 50 on fri.
DH got the fruit trees pruned yesterday.

Ziva dog finally just got up (7am) I let her out and put the hummingbird feeder out, poor things, I have 2 that stay all year.

I think I want to bake bread today,, :love🤔

AND, I am making cod tacos for dinner

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love chili dogs!!
2 degrees F and "Someone" had a taste for BBQ chilli cheese dogs. I wasn't firing up the grill.

Day 3
Screenshot_20240115_100456_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been cold here and more wind than normal... 25 up to maybe 40 but the wind made it the coldest 40 I have felt in a LOOOONG Time.

Got cows caught in the catch pen and moved to barn lot for pregnancy checks tomorrow. Vet due at 1 p.m.... got 30 to do... expect there are a couple that are open... found a dead calf and not sure who had it.....so at least one that is not still pregnant... I think there are 29 to do...

Supposed to get about 1/2 to 2 inches of snow starting around 3-4 a.m.; then a break and more coming in after 2 or so...

Down to 24 and dropping a bit more most likely. At least the cotton pickin' wind has died down... it was brutal out there.
Did what I could to get things situated for the cold and snow...

Sorry about the loss of a calf 😞.

For the start of winter, we busted and spread a big wheat straw round in the corral, It was one of the recycled red neck Christmas tree rounds that my neighbor gave me. I took a graden rake and raked all the paint off the face off the round. That was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The moo crew seems to like it they are hanging out in the corral. Wheat straw is something to nip at and help keep their belly off the frozen soil. I need to set out a hay round this evening.

All this cold, it too shall pass, eventually👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Lake Erie never ceases to amaze. Now starting to freeze over with these Artic air temps.

Last weekend, there were news stories on ships anchored near shore, east of Sandusky to be in the lee of the powerful winds.

If the temps stay low, the western basin peeps may be able to drive on the ice to the islands north of Sandusky