Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That same storm will hit here, but temperatures will go up during the day. 20’s for a few nights just to make it miserable. Starting Monday there is 4 inches of rain predicted over 3 days. So, back to poop soup. I’ll be so glad to get started on the barn. First, dump truck loads of DIRT to build up a pad so it won’t turn to mud and poop soup.

Coffee is ready, on my second cup, then outside to enjoy the day before winter tries to sneak back in.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winter day 8 - currently overcast, 16 degrees F and windy from the north west. It snowing a little, not much accumulation, just enough to replace what melted yesterday. The Ice bucket is still a ice bucket.
Screenshot_20240119_084241_Gallery.jpg

Did I walk the water out of the hose yesterday 🤔? Yes I did 😀

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That same storm will hit here, but temperatures will go up during the day. 20’s for a few nights just to make it miserable. Starting Monday there is 4 inches of rain predicted over 3 days. So, back to poop soup. I’ll be so glad to get started on the barn. First, dump truck loads of DIRT to build up a pad so it won’t turn to mud and poop soup.

Coffee is ready, on my second cup, then outside to enjoy the day before winter tries to sneak back in.
Just a question because I don't know the answer. Do hooved critters do OK on floated (smooth) cement barn floor?

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a question because I don't know the answer. Do hooved critters do OK on floated (smooth) cement barn floor?
Yep. It can even help them with long toes/feet. I used to walk my dogs on pavement on purpose everyday just to not trim their toes. Can be good for cattle and horses as well. It also gives them a chance to get some of the mud out of their feet. Wish I had a spot like that to feed the horses.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rough is better, IMO, as any wet is slippery. Seeing that hooved critters are often moving erratically, as well providing moisture to any surface, easy to see a disaster happening. Plus humans slip & slid on it, too. That's my observation 🤣 and experience.

BUT...why/where would you cement a barn--beyond an aisle or feed/tack room, etc. which would normally have no or limited animal access -- ?

My feed room floor is concrete, aisles dirt, stalls dirt. But I did use footing and 3 block up on entire barn build. 😏

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep. It can even help them with long toes/feet. I used to walk my dogs on pavement on purpose everyday just to not trim their toes. Can be good for cattle and horses as well. It also gives them a chance to get some of the mud out of their feet. Wish I had a spot like that to feed the horses.
Awesome - Thanks 👍

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rough is better, IMO, as any wet is slippery. Seeing that hooved critters are often moving erratically, as well providing moisture to any surface, easy to see a disaster happening. Plus humans slip & slid on it, too. That's my observation 🤣 and experience.

BUT...why/where would you cement a barn--beyond an aisle or feed/tack room, etc. which would normally have no or limited animal access -- ?

My feed room floor is concrete, aisles dirt, stalls dirt. But I did use footing and 3 block up on entire barn build. 😏
Awesome - thanks 👍

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my teenage years I had a horse who thought he was a dog. He followed me into the garage one day where there was some moisture. This horse fell and could NOT get up. He struggled and struggled - finally just gave up and waited for us to help him. We managed to pull him out the garage door to the driveway. The driveway had a rough finish and he popped back to his feet just fine. I wouldn't advocate for a slick concrete finish for any hooved animal. Roughed up concrete gives them plenty of traction and will help wear the hooves down.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In my teenage years I had a horse who thought he was a dog. He followed me into the garage one day where there was some moisture. This horse fell and could NOT get up. He struggled and struggled - finally just gave up and waited for us to help him. We managed to pull him out the garage door to the driveway. The driveway had a rough finish and he popped back to his feet just fine. I wouldn't advocate for a slick concrete finish for any hooved animal. Roughed up concrete gives them plenty of traction and will help wear the hooves down.
Thank You 😊

I was thinking rubber stable mats would probably work and could be hosed off to clean when needed.

Am I barking up the right tree?