Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While I appreciate your good intentions, it would be unpleasant for you to give up your friend. You know, they are trained in homes at first, for all the "normal" dog obedience. Then to specialized training for the type service dog to be.

Personally, I would probably look for a group who provides such dogs to military service members at no cost. We under appreciate their consequences after serving our country. Often these dogs are the thing they need for assistance physically, and mentally for PTSD & depression.

I can see you wheels turning. Do you have any assistance needs ??? 🥰
We personally have no assistance needs.

I know nothing about the process for training a service dog. I do know the first step is to see if he even qualifies (was born with the ability). If he was born with the ability, then it's a choice that will be put before me. I already know the answer, it's just not a easy answer.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@CrealCritter Of course it's "working", but it's damaging his attachment to you and his viewpoint (pessimistic vs optimistic). Look up SMARTx50. It's an efficient way to stop unwanted behaviors, and there's no risk of harming his bond with you. 12 - 16 weeks of age is a difficult age because puppies' needs are increasing and they don't have much capacity for impulse control yet.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Now I have a big decision in front of me. I need to get him ability tested. If he was born with the ability to be trained into a service dog. Then is he really meant for me to keep? The simple answer is, of course not. And I would give him away, to be trained, if he could help someone else who really needs him. But even typing this paragraph was difficult for me. Because i've become attached to tank already.
Task-training is the easy part. Finding a dog with correct temperament is the hard part. He's not from a purpose-bred breeding program, so his odds of success are very low. He didn't get exposure training between 5 and 12 weeks of age, which is not in his favor either. Plus he's too young for selection tests to be predictive. (A puppy's temperament isn't stable until about 14 months of age.) Odds are not in his favor for being successful in service training.

Sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy him! Good things happen to good people :love

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter Of course it's "working", but it's damaging his attachment to you and his viewpoint (pessimistic vs optimistic). Look up SMARTx50. It's an efficient way to stop unwanted behaviors, and there's no risk of harming his bond with you. 12 - 16 weeks of age is a difficult age because puppies' needs are increasing and they don't have much capacity for impulse control yet.
It seems to be working ok.

I will check out SMARTx50, Thanks

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Morning all --- rain coming my way. From west and from south, meeting here along the east coast😕 guess they think it's beach time 😳 originally was to start by daybreak, now it's arriving noonish -- light, big wind & rain late day. NOT a fan. Not needed now. Blows my gardening for tomorrow out the window. 🫤😡. May work a job tomorrow, take Mon off 🤔

Right now, predicting 80s all next week 😳👍😁🎉

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Moo Crew
Screenshot_20240411_190007_Gallery.jpg