Cold and flu remedies?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
'Tis the season and I'm already on board with an awful cold :rolleyes: All this coughing and sneezing and blowing what feels like my brains out had me running to the pharmacy for some medicine quickly. I am up a collection of no less than three different brands of cough medicine now, none of which sadly seem to make much of a difference :he As well as some strong tablets that helps with the sinus drainage, but makes me so loopy headed, I can't drive or do anything vaguely responsible. I nearly took a tumble down the stairs in a store yesterday, which earned me a few unsympathetic "go home, you're drunk" looks. :smack But what am I do to? The different brand (non drowsiness inducing) tablets I tried managed to make me feel even worse!

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this nonsense, or even better, avoid it altogether? If you guys have tips or home made remedies, please share!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sunday, I was minding my own business, when... out of the blue... I got slammed with a sore throat (only one side). Hurt to swallow, as well as feeling swollen and like I had a cockleburr stuck there. So, I sucked down 2 cups of mint tea. Then, when I got home, I followed up with Zycam nasal swabs, 500 mg. Vitamin C, Zinc, Echinacea pills. Used Zycam 2 more times before going to bed, Slugged down some orange juice. Made and had some chicken soup. Before bed, I was feeling feverish, a bit weak, nose and sinuses were filling up, throat still sore. Used some chest rub, and put heating pad on chest for a while. got up feeling fit as a fiddle.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found a VapoRub with Lavender in it. I smear it on the end of my body pillow so it is nearer to my face as I sleep. The lavender really helps me sleep.

I have had a terrible cough since getting over the flu almost 3 weeks ago. Nothing I tried worked: cough drops, decongestant, mucus meds, cough syrups, day quill/night quill. I finally broke open my wallet and bought a personal steam inhaler and have been using 3 times a day for 2 days. It seems like the congestion is finally starting to get better.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the best treatment for the cold/flu is prevention! wash your hands and train yourself to keep your hands away from your face.

once you have a cold or the flu if there is a lot of coughing involved we use a mix of whiskey, lemon juice and honey. you may drink as much of it as you like in small portions and eventually either you'll fall asleep or won't care if you're still coughing. :)

do not drink and drive or operate heavy machinery. nobody has yet determined how much the internet weighs so i think you're safe on-line... just warn people you've been sipping and they'll be ok. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tom & Jerry's is good, but I prefer a plain ole'
HOT BUTTERED RUM
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated Swerve (or sugar)
3 tbsp maple syrup (or sugar free maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup powdered swerve or sugar
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
INSTRUCTIONS
FOR THE MIX
1. In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated Swerve, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes. 2. Add heavy cream, powdered Swerve, nutmeg, cinnamon and clove. Mix on low speed until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is smooth.
MAKING THE DRINK
1. Combine 2-3 tbsp of the Hot Buttered Rum Batter and 1-2 oz spiced rum to 1/2 cup hot water. Adjust the batter / rum ratios to taste.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Vicks Vapo-Rub.

A: The active ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are camphor (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic), eucalyptus oil (a cough suppressant) and menthol (a cough suppressant and topical analgesic). The inactive ingredients in Vicks VapoRub include cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, petrolatum, thymol and turpentine oil.

Rub on your chest and sinuses, being careful not to get near your eyes. Lie down, the fumes can make your eyes water. I use this at night, because I am laying flat and my eyes are closed. LOL You can rub on your chest during the day and be ok. This stuff works. It is not popular as opposed to taking a trendy pill advertised on TV.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug :lol:
I have been drinking Tom & Jerry's every night to help with my cough. It is a batter made of eggs, powdered sugar, and a couple of other ingredients and you store it in the freezer. To use, in a coffee mug mix 2 tablespoons batter with a shot of brandy, rum or a mix of the 2 (I use a mix of brandy & rum). Top off with hot water and stir until all the batter is dissolved. Top with fresh grated nutmeg. It gets a nice foamy top and warms you up inside and out.