Cold and flu remedies?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stay home and don't let people breathe on you? That's my plan, plus flu shots and chaga tea. Hope you feel better soon!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
High vitamin C. Hot showers, helps drain sinus & helps keep nasal passages moist. Hot water -- a cup under your nose, breathe in!. Drink hot tea. Drink hot water with lemon. Garlic & hot peppers (chili) which help act as natural decongestants. Chicken soup...yes it has components that help thin mucus.

The virus has to run it's course. Stay out of the stores, esp the meds aisle. Most there are sick! :D

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Homemade Chicken Soup. We make Chicken Stew every time we start to sniffle, it has Franks Red Hot sauce in it to give it a little kick.
Plenty of rest

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like Kahlua. A snort before bed numbs my throat and even if it hurts, I don't care.

upload_2018-11-12_22-36-15.jpeg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We always use "The Remedy" for colds and such...works most of the time to shorten and even get rid of a bad cold. It involves the use of Bay's chosen method of Vick's in various places, but particularly on the feet, after inducing a faux fever by heating your core up(super hot bath~don't wet your head~ while drinking a super hot drink, apply Vick's to feet, chest and nose, then wrapping up in the warmest clothing and blankets you have until you are unbearably hot...helps to take some drowsy inducing cold meds for that part so you can sleep through being cocooned in all that warmth...stay in all that heat until you finally break a sweat you can't stand to keep covered, and lots of OJ for the next three days~three glasses a day. When done right I always feel 50% improved by the next day, 75% improved by the day after that and then the cold just kind of tapers away.

My family and I have used this method for about 10 yrs now and find it to be surprisingly effective and WAY more effective than any other cold remedy.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that I keep Chloraceptic spray for sore throats. Numbing it helps to swallow anything else I need to take. It also helps when my baby..err..husband whines he can't swallow because his throat hurts too much.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just like last year, everyone around me including my wife has gotten sick or come down with the flu. I'm being the go for taking family to the doctors, picking up food and prescriptions, etc...

Knock on wood, I haven't gotten sick or got the flu. My Wife says: "I'm too mean and nasty to get sick." And that's perfectly OK by me 👍

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My Tom & Jerry recipe is very basic - no spices in it at all. Just fresh grated nutmeg on top of the foam.

Tom & Jerry Batter

6 eggs
1 1/2 pound of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of dry milk powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt.

Seperate eggs. Beat egg yolks and egg whites separately. Then stir together and slowely stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Store in the freezer. (It will not freeze solid)

To use: place 2 tablespoons batter in coffee mug. Add one 1 jigger of alcohol (brandy, rum or combination of both). Stir until alcohol is mixed in. fill mug with hot water and stir. Grate nutmeg onto foam and enjoy.