Cold and flu remedies?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We always use "The Remedy" for colds and such...works most of the time to shorten and even get rid of a bad cold. It involves the use of Bay's chosen method of Vick's in various places, but particularly on the feet, after inducing a faux fever by heating your core up(super hot bath~don't wet your head~ while drinking a super hot drink, apply Vick's to feet, chest and nose, then wrapping up in the warmest clothing and blankets you have until you are unbearably hot...helps to take some drowsy inducing cold meds for that part so you can sleep through being cocooned in all that warmth...stay in all that heat until you finally break a sweat you can't stand to keep covered, and lots of OJ for the next three days~three glasses a day. When done right I always feel 50% improved by the next day, 75% improved by the day after that and then the cold just kind of tapers away.

My family and I have used this method for about 10 yrs now and find it to be surprisingly effective and WAY more effective than any other cold remedy.

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead ;)

An elderberry tincture or syrup will help with colds/flus. Also, try a tincture made from the sweet gum tree. The gum balls have the chemical in them that Tamiflu is created from.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Zycam nasal swabs at first sign that a cold may be coming. I can get 5 applications from a single swab. When the cold does "get me" the Zycam wipes it out in fast order. Otherwise, a cold will settle into bronchitis that will be with me for 6 weeks or longer.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A friend makes something she calls Fire Cider. It is VERY VERY vinegary and HOT and spicy. It burns like moonshine going down but she swears it doesn't have any alcohol in it. I keep a little jar in the fridge and take a couple of tablespoons every time I feel something coming on. It's NASTY - but I've not had any more than slight sinus congestion YET this year.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Take a look at some of the ingredients and you'll understand why it burns... This is by Rebecca at Foodie with Family
Fire Cider
Ingredients

• 1 large horseradish root scrubbed very well, about 7 inches long
  • 1 large ginger root about 7 inches long
  • 1 large onion root and stem end removed and peeled
  • 1 large orange do NOT peel. Use the whole fruit.
  • 1 lemon do NOT peel. Use the whole fruit.
  • 16 cloves of garlic peeled
  • 2-4 habanero peppers stems removed
  • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • raw apple cider vinegar
  • raw honey
Instructions
  1. Grate the horseradish and ginger roots. Roughly chop the onions, orange, lemon, garlic, and habanero peppers. Stuff them into a half-gallon glass jar with a tight fitting lid or divide evenly between two quart sized canning jars. Sprinkle the turmeric in on top (dividing evenly between the two jars if using quart jars). Pour the raw apple cider vinegar in over the contents, allowing it to settle in through the crevices and adding more so that the contents are submerged. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the rim of the jar, then screw the lid tightly in place. Let the mixture sit in a dark, cool place, allowing it to marry and infuse for 4 weeks, shaking once daily.
  2. After 4 weeks, pour the contents into a muslin or cheesecloth lined colander positioned over a stable pot. Let it drain for 30 minutes, then gather the corners of the cloth, twisting and squeezing until you cannot release any more liquid. When it's fully strained, add honey to the liquid to taste and pour into a sterilized wine bottle or canning jar. Store in a cool, dark place for up to a year, shaking well before using.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wellup, there is definitely garlic in the stuff in my jar. I can't taste any fruits..
Mostly I just stand there slapping the counter and making horrible faces until the worst of it passes... :sick
She says she likes it and takes a swig every day. :th
Still.. I will SWEAR that it's got to be helping my immunity. I've been exposed to all sorts of snotty, coughing, hacking, wheezing, truck drivers and co-workers over the past couple of months. So far.. still feeling fine.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised there isn't any black pepper in there... it can increase the bio-availability of the turmeric by something like 1000 percent

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead ;)

An elderberry tincture or syrup will help with colds/flus. Also, try a tincture made from the sweet gum tree. The gum balls have the chemical in them that Tamiflu is created from.
At what stage do you use the gum balls? Green and picked off the tree, or brown and on the ground?

Latest posts