Cold and flu remedies?

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
High vitamin C. Hot showers, helps drain sinus & helps keep nasal passages moist. Hot water -- a cup under your nose, breathe in!. Drink hot tea. Drink hot water with lemon. Garlic & hot peppers (chili) which help act as natural decongestants. Chicken soup...yes it has components that help thin mucus.

The virus has to run it's course. Stay out of the stores, esp the meds aisle. Most there are sick! :D
I remembered that good ol chicken noodle soup my mom use to make. for some unknown reasons ot really does have that magic of clearing out sinuses.. amazing.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sunday, I was minding my own business, when... out of the blue... I got slammed with a sore throat (only one side). Hurt to swallow, as well as feeling swollen and like I had a cockleburr stuck there. So, I sucked down 2 cups of mint tea. Then, when I got home, I followed up with Zycam nasal swabs, 500 mg. Vitamin C, Zinc, Echinacea pills. Used Zycam 2 more times before going to bed, Slugged down some orange juice. Made and had some chicken soup. Before bed, I was feeling feverish, a bit weak, nose and sinuses were filling up, throat still sore. Used some chest rub, and put heating pad on chest for a while. got up feeling fit as a fiddle.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that I keep Chloraceptic spray for sore throats. Numbing it helps to swallow anything else I need to take. It also helps when my baby..err..husband whines he can't swallow because his throat hurts too much.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just like last year, everyone around me including my wife has gotten sick or come down with the flu. I'm being the go for taking family to the doctors, picking up food and prescriptions, etc...

Knock on wood, I haven't gotten sick or got the flu. My Wife says: "I'm too mean and nasty to get sick." And that's perfectly OK by me 👍

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter So sorry your family is sick. Hope that baby doesn't catch it. I guess you gotta stay mean and healthy so you can serve everyone else. Got a good chicken soup recipe?

We are all staying away from her at this time.

But kids get sick a lot, I believe it's helps build their immune system.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
'Tis the season and I'm already on board with an awful cold :rolleyes: All this coughing and sneezing and blowing what feels like my brains out had me running to the pharmacy for some medicine quickly. I am up a collection of no less than three different brands of cough medicine now, none of which sadly seem to make much of a difference :he As well as some strong tablets that helps with the sinus drainage, but makes me so loopy headed, I can't drive or do anything vaguely responsible. I nearly took a tumble down the stairs in a store yesterday, which earned me a few unsympathetic "go home, you're drunk" looks. :smack But what am I do to? The different brand (non drowsiness inducing) tablets I tried managed to make me feel even worse!

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this nonsense, or even better, avoid it altogether? If you guys have tips or home made remedies, please share!
Hmmm. The generation today is really really confusing, in the good old days, My mom will just give me Vicks Vaporub. the next morning it's like nothing happened.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found a VapoRub with Lavender in it. I smear it on the end of my body pillow so it is nearer to my face as I sleep. The lavender really helps me sleep.

I have had a terrible cough since getting over the flu almost 3 weeks ago. Nothing I tried worked: cough drops, decongestant, mucus meds, cough syrups, day quill/night quill. I finally broke open my wallet and bought a personal steam inhaler and have been using 3 times a day for 2 days. It seems like the congestion is finally starting to get better.