Cold and flu remedies?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad that steam inhaler is helping you. Whenever I get an upper respiratory challenge I tend to have a cough that hangs on for months....so annoying! I'll need to think about one of those inhalers too. Thanks for the info!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember my mom using one of those when we were kids... couldn't tell you if it helped or not, lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I had bad bronchitis as a kid, Mom and Grandma had to tent my bed and put a warm air humidifier in with me on doctors orders.

Now I just deal with it as I can when I get any sort of respiratory bug. Chances are I'll have bronchitis long before it's over. I still have a bit of a lingering cough from the flu I caught at Thanksgiving.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
'Tis the season and I'm already on board with an awful cold :rolleyes: All this coughing and sneezing and blowing what feels like my brains out had me running to the pharmacy for some medicine quickly. I am up a collection of no less than three different brands of cough medicine now, none of which sadly seem to make much of a difference :he As well as some strong tablets that helps with the sinus drainage, but makes me so loopy headed, I can't drive or do anything vaguely responsible. I nearly took a tumble down the stairs in a store yesterday, which earned me a few unsympathetic "go home, you're drunk" looks. :smack But what am I do to? The different brand (non drowsiness inducing) tablets I tried managed to make me feel even worse!

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this nonsense, or even better, avoid it altogether? If you guys have tips or home made remedies, please share!
Aside from Vick Vapor Rub, we have a local peppermint lotion that is a surefire way to cure that cough and cold. I just forgot what its called.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
'Tis the season and I'm already on board with an awful cold :rolleyes: All this coughing and sneezing and blowing what feels like my brains out had me running to the pharmacy for some medicine quickly. I am up a collection of no less than three different brands of cough medicine now, none of which sadly seem to make much of a difference :he As well as some strong tablets that helps with the sinus drainage, but makes me so loopy headed, I can't drive or do anything vaguely responsible. I nearly took a tumble down the stairs in a store yesterday, which earned me a few unsympathetic "go home, you're drunk" looks. :smack But what am I do to? The different brand (non drowsiness inducing) tablets I tried managed to make me feel even worse!

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this nonsense, or even better, avoid it altogether? If you guys have tips or home made remedies, please share!
I got worse than the cold now. I have an abscessed tooth. and it is so excruciating, taking ibuprofen and amoxicillin for the pain and the swelling. It hurts so bad. :(:(:(:(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is painful, I hope you get to a dentist and get it taken care of.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Have you tried it yet? I m really serious when I mentioned trying Vicks Vapor Rub. I t will fix everything... Like "Jokoy" the comedian uses to say. :D:D

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the best treatment for the cold/flu is prevention! wash your hands and train yourself to keep your hands away from your face.

once you have a cold or the flu if there is a lot of coughing involved we use a mix of whiskey, lemon juice and honey. you may drink as much of it as you like in small portions and eventually either you'll fall asleep or won't care if you're still coughing. :)

do not drink and drive or operate heavy machinery. nobody has yet determined how much the internet weighs so i think you're safe on-line... just warn people you've been sipping and they'll be ok. :)