Cold and flu remedies?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug :lol:
I have been drinking Tom & Jerry's every night to help with my cough. It is a batter made of eggs, powdered sugar, and a couple of other ingredients and you store it in the freezer. To use, in a coffee mug mix 2 tablespoons batter with a shot of brandy, rum or a mix of the 2 (I use a mix of brandy & rum). Top off with hot water and stir until all the batter is dissolved. Top with fresh grated nutmeg. It gets a nice foamy top and warms you up inside and out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Is this somewhat similar to your recipe?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@flowerbug :lol:
I have been drinking Tom & Jerry's every night to help with my cough. It is a batter made of eggs, powdered sugar, and a couple of other ingredients and you store it in the freezer. To use, in a coffee mug mix 2 tablespoons batter with a shot of brandy, rum or a mix of the 2 (I use a mix of brandy & rum). Top off with hot water and stir until all the batter is dissolved. Top with fresh grated nutmeg. It gets a nice foamy top and warms you up inside and out.

i had to look it up too since i'd not heard of it before. sounds dangerous to me, like a brandy alexander in the summer, they can sneak up on ya...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@YourRabbitGirl i have used the Vick’s many times. It really works. Before bed, I rub it on my sinuses, throat and chest. Wake up clear or coughing the crud up. Vick’s will break up the congestion. In fact my husband got a hot toddy last night, that usually does the trick, but he has congestion in his chest so he’ll get Vick’s rubbed on his chest tonight plus the hot toddy!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a clove based chest rub that is even better than Vicks. I smear that on my chest, then cover with a heating pad. Leave the pad in place for a few minutes to soothe the cough.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a clove based chest rub that is even better than Vicks. I smear that on my chest, then cover with a heating pad. Leave the pad in place for a few minutes to soothe the cough.
Recipe please. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tom & Jerry's is good, but I prefer a plain ole'
HOT BUTTERED RUM
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated Swerve (or sugar)
3 tbsp maple syrup (or sugar free maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cup powdered swerve or sugar
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
INSTRUCTIONS
FOR THE MIX
1. In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated Swerve, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes. 2. Add heavy cream, powdered Swerve, nutmeg, cinnamon and clove. Mix on low speed until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is smooth.
MAKING THE DRINK
1. Combine 2-3 tbsp of the Hot Buttered Rum Batter and 1-2 oz spiced rum to 1/2 cup hot water. Adjust the batter / rum ratios to taste.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
'Tis the season and I'm already on board with an awful cold :rolleyes: All this coughing and sneezing and blowing what feels like my brains out had me running to the pharmacy for some medicine quickly. I am up a collection of no less than three different brands of cough medicine now, none of which sadly seem to make much of a difference :he As well as some strong tablets that helps with the sinus drainage, but makes me so loopy headed, I can't drive or do anything vaguely responsible. I nearly took a tumble down the stairs in a store yesterday, which earned me a few unsympathetic "go home, you're drunk" looks. :smack But what am I do to? The different brand (non drowsiness inducing) tablets I tried managed to make me feel even worse!

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this nonsense, or even better, avoid it altogether? If you guys have tips or home made remedies, please share!
There's another cough a cold remedy that is sweeping Philippines by storm. Its called "Lola Remedios." a concoction of herbs and spices used since the older days.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My recipe for Ton & Jerry's is pretty plain - I think it has vanilla in it but I know it doesn't have cloves or cinnamon. And we use a micro-plane grater for fresh grated nutmeg on top of the foam. I will have to look up the recipe and post it.

I would love to try that Hot Buttered Rum recipe! I will try to scale it down to a "try-It" amount.

Latest posts