Cold!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
7* right now and a clear and beautiful night! Pretty moon and stars, clear sky and the air is like breathing a mountain stream...sparkling cold and refreshing. Smells good too.

Wood stove feels great!

Hope everyone is able to stay warm, pipes don't freeze and all the livestock are snug in dry, deep bedding. :thumbsup

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's snowing softly here. I love watching it fall. So far it's still something magical for me, coming from a place where snow is very rare. I hope I'll always feel this way about it :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree the cold is nice... Fresh air, clear skies, great for star gazing for short amounts of time.

Agree. But I've had a day or two & I'm done!! :hide

So everyone was tucked in well last night & they wanted breakfast in bed this AM. WINDY -- so wind chills about 8 & temp on back port 17. Toted hot water, fed, opened coops & came in for another cup of coffee. It's sunny out, will help warm but still cold. Couple more days of this coming along.

THANKFULLY, I had double checked, & re-wrapped the heat tapes on my barn water lines, where any looked like the needed it -- only lines above ground. Everything working. But my barn has a line of window area the entire building, about 5' above the floor, which are 29" tall. They are covered in HEAVY, clear greenhouse plastic, so sunshine gives a warming in there that is very noticeable.

Unfortunately, our coldest weather is generally Jan/Feb here and looking at what is happening up North, I'm convinced my concerns for a hard winter here is coming. We've had fairly mild for couple years now. Are we "DUE" ?? :idunno

Too cold & windy for much more than inside today...:caf

I don't ski but have some 2nd hand ski pants that I just love! Light weight, extremely warm & silky so hay slides off....:clap

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When you live where winter means freezing water you just have to plan for that when you get animals. It's still a pain in the butt of course, but it's just a reality of living up north.
This year I bought a heated dog bowl for my chickens and it works well. I don't like running an extension cord from the shop, but it'll do for this winter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here. Winters used to be like this here when I was young, except with way more snow, so all these warm winters were kind of strange to us. Then to get real winter weather is like an old friend to me...still would like to see more snow, though. Good for the gardens.

I've had WAYYYYYY worse winters to deal with than this and the memory of them is still pretty fresh. I love living in this state and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, so all the seasons are something I enjoy.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same bastardly cold here! :he

Bay, like you, we are supposed to be mid 40 Monday & up to 60 by Friday. More "normal" for us. I am so over this white crap!! :( Truly unusual for our area to be this cold, this long. And snow is 12th most in something like 50 yrs. Haven't been on roads since Wed and that's ok but, the winds keep moving this darned snow, so the paths I make each day just disappear! Carrying buckets of water gets tricky as you walk along, hit a drift, then buckets drag. I pull hay on a large tarp type bag.

It's hard to heat a house above the mid 60's when it's minus 5 outside. I'm tired of cold.

Now on a 48 hr countdown to sanity !!! :celebrate

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, I'm counting down with you.

Windchill at -40 right now. It's not my first time with those temps, but it's already been so cold for the last two weeks that -40 just feels like being kicked when you're already down.