Commercial Popcorn

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought a bag of popcorn kernels a while back and didn't finish them all. John decided he didn't like it as well as the microwave kind. lol

Can I do anything with the left over kernels? It's not enough to try to grind it or anything. (I don't have the equipment to do that anyway.) Just a couple of cup fulls. Can chickens eat it? Does it need to be popped first?

I guess I could pop it and throw it out for wild birds.

Cassandra

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well i am a fan of the old fashioned kind...and it HAS to be popped in a pot:>) I hate microwave popcorn, it doesn't even taste like popcorn! LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no don't feed it to the chickens. it is processed different than regular cracked corn.

also, popcorn for the birds ain't recommended,,,hmm..by who, I think the wildlife people..HA HA

how about popping all of it and stringing it for Xmas decorations! Use it up!

or make popcorn carmel balls. it doesn't matter what the popcorn tastes like, pop it up, cover a little in carmel as glue, make balls, and YUMMY holiday treats. I would find a way to cook with it!

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Couldn't you grind it up and then feed it to the birds?

Just wondering... how did you pop it? I know my dh loves homemade popcorn made on the stove with oil, but with the air popper will only eat it when drenched with Real Butter.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea grinding it up means you can do anything with it.

commercial popcorn is processed with no moisture in it or something like that. critters guts can't process it the same. I know they wouldn't croak probably, but I wouldn't bother. not worth it to me....

but air popped, wow, I never liked that either. air popped is missing "something"...I had one of those machines and just didnt' like the taste.

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't LOVE air popped corn, but I can't stand the taste of the chemicals in nuked, so I air pop it when I want a fix now now now. It's good for a quick snack for the kids too/

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL I thought the whole point of stringing popcorn on your christmas tree was so the birds could eat it later.

:lol:

I would grind it up if I had a grinder. But I am really liking the idea of popcorn balls!

I won't buy any more of it, though. The popcorn air popper was a waste of money. I think I will air pop this last batch and make the popcorn balls, then donate the popper to charity. :)

Thanks for the ideas!

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea people feed all kinds of things to birds, but if you read what is not recommended it would blow your mind..LOL-LOL
who knew....not me..HA HA----I guess it comes down to a natural diet for all...even birds..LOL

My air popper went directly into the garbage (before my SS days)....I bought it for diet reasons. YUCK

I guess sometimes we bite the bullet and make those mistakes thinking it would be good, then yucky, and then, oh I hate to waste money, etc. etc.

But for me, I love the old timey Jiffy Pop...the one that blows up on the burner into the foil. WOW, I ate tons of that as a kid. I liked watching it pop..LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I dunno, I've been feeding a very old stale bag of popcorn to my chickens -- in small amounts at a time, which is a good idea for ANY treat -- with no signs whatsoever of problems.

Microwave popcorn would of course be a bad idea, with all that salt (being fairly small, chickens can't tolerate a lot of salt without getting sick or even dying).

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess without a long term study of ill effects of garbage human food on birds, lol, we will never know