Composting with maggots

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
do ya'll put rice in your compost pile? I'm just starting one and have the idea of "if it came from the earth, it can go back"

I am on the right track, right.... hopefully. :)
This is my composting life-"if it came from the earth, to the earth it shall return"

Tho I've never put in meat (on purpose anyway) cause I don't like the idea of maggots either. :sick
I'll just let the chickens and whatever few worms they miss do the job.

BarkerChickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just saw your post. Thanks so much! We compost with tumblers as well as earthworms. We have 3 med-large dogs, 1 cat, 30 chickens and 2 adults (DH and I) who love homecooking. I think I want pet maggots now! :D

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
(Note to self: Do not read SS while having toast and coffee at the computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

mjdtexan

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I compost myself. I dont use a tumbler though. While the maggot thing sounds interesting, I think I will pass

Myga

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Actually, I can vouch for their awesomeness.

We have a 90 gallon composter, and have filled it multiple times through the summer, only to have it mostly empty a couple weeks later. They handle everything besides bones flawlessly. By the time I scoop it out of the bottom, it's heavy with "larvae" (maggots is too gross a term to think about. House flies, blarg!!), which I sift out with a home made gold panner-like thing, and then feed to the chickens.

I just make sure I don't look at it more than necessary. :sick

BarkerChickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am curious to how you prevent having a bunch of flies buzzing around with this method. I love the idea and am more than willing to farm soldier fly maggots, but I want to make sure I will have control over the stupid flies. They were bad enough this year without breeding them with compost! :)