congress passed and now intnl stock market...#2

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I remember the savings and loan stuff in the '80s (?)- what the FDIC does is take over banks that are insolvent, sell it to another bank that is solvent if they can, or run it themselves until it is solvent. Only if none of those things work does it actually get closed.
Most people never even see that things that are going on behind the scenes- it's not like a wonderful life when there is such high drama as dance two dollar bills into the vault. The taken over banks just keep operating with FDIC covering losses til it turns around or is closed.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
PS My parents got married just before the stocks fell in 1929. Times were harder but my father had a job all the way through the Depression- they never starved. Lots of people were still quite wealthy.
I was talking to a lady whose parents fed people thorughout the Depression as they had a farm.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
What I am sick of hearing is how it is all Bush's fault we are in this mess. One person did not do this. And besides it was Carter & Clinton who signed the deregulation bills into effect & the Dems have been in control of congress for what 3 yrs now? I think some higher ups should lose their jobs for this mess & not warning anyone about it. Think about it if a CFO kept their mouth shut about impending financial disaster in a company would they not get fired? Like Bill O'Rielly I want to see some responsibility being taken. JMO.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Like everyone, I don't want to see people lose their jobs, their homes, or their savings/retirement funds. However, I don't want to see this massive amount of money (money that our kids and grandchildren will be responsible for) just given to huge banks and businesses that made bad decisions. Especially when all of the lending rules that got us into this mess are still in place, rules that congress approved, I might add. They don't seem to be trying to correct the original problem, but are just throwing money at the symptoms.

Congress is living up to its' 10 percent approval rating.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what kills me is the people RE-ELECT the corrupt senators, mayors, etc. etc. over and over again. there should be final term limits on how long you can run.

alaskas senator (or congressman, I can't remember..LOL) is like 83 years old and has been a career politician and always getting caught doing "maybe illegal" things yet he gets re-elected over and over...what is wrong with people.

My Dad and me discussed this type of thing....if the politician is sneaky and gets illegal money and such, BUT, gives some small money back by doing good deeds for the community, I guess the people figure something is better than nothing and keep re-electing that person.

what gives with that???? LOL-LOL

stop voting for the known (which is alot of them in politics) corrupt policitians....

just ranting a little, feels good to blow it off in the forum..LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do believe there were signs that this was coming. They were just ignored, like a dam that has a small hole in it. It will, someday, disintegrate. I do not believe we can blame all of this on the lending institutes. I do believe that a very lg part of it is always wanting better for your kids. So, we do not teach them the basic values that we learned. We have raised a nation of I want what I want and I want it now people. The lending institutes can only lend money to people who apply for it. AND no I do not blame this all on bush. He inherited this tangled mess (he prob didnt help either). This has been a long time coming. The ME, ME, ME generation. And yes I guess you could say I am part of that generation, But I have my mom and dads voice in my head telling me DONT DO IT. I am 43.
THis is JMO, lol.
Oh yes and the elections, sisnce I am tired of typing I will only say, you go Farmerchick!!!

can you tell my headache is gone?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
roosmom said:
I do believe there were signs that this was coming. They were just ignored, like a dam that has a small hole in it. It will, someday, disintegrate. I do not believe we can blame all of this on the lending institutes. I do believe that a very lg part of it is always wanting better for your kids. So, we do not teach them the basic values that we learned. We have raised a nation of I want what I want and I want it now people. The lending institutes can only lend money to people who apply for it. AND no I do not blame this all on bush. He inherited this tangled mess (he prob didnt help either). This has been a long time coming. The ME, ME, ME generation. And yes I guess you could say I am part of that generation, But I have my mom and dads voice in my head telling me DONT DO IT. I am 43.
THis is JMO, lol.
Oh yes and the elections, sisnce I am tired of typing I will only say, you go Farmerchick!!!

can you tell my headache is gone?
I'd like to know how we were brainwashed into believing that giving our kids everything was going to be good for them:>) Seriously! This is a Me generation for sure! My kids don't want to work, they don't want to help around the house, they say that none of their friends have to do this or that or even come home on the weekends! We haven't only lost control of our finances....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
brainwashed is it!

advertising is amazing.

I remember an ad on the internet page ---buy this accessory for your cell phone or you are not up to date, you are not current with the times, you are a loser basically....I bet alot of people ran out and bought that accessory.

We are told what to buy. We are lead in any direction they want to take us. Sad isn't it.

And we listen!

I am the ME generation---I wanted it all, who doesn't...but somewhere I turned. Yup, "they" lost me...LOL...I am not a sheep anymore and go in my own direction.....and they are losing many more people. People are waking up....time is needed.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But you see, we are NOT bad people. The advertising and certain groups of people said
"why should children have to work, why shouldnt they have everything they want, what harm can it do, DONT YOU WANT BETTER FOR YOUR KIDS (that last was the kicker)
Even that is not the total reason, (it is just the easiest for me to pin point, because I had four kids and they sure can play on your heart strings cant they) I am sure that everyone could pinpoint at least one thing that has helped bring america to this point.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
roosmom
you said your hubby might lose his job? is this a possibility right now? what line of work is he in?

that is rough...ugh!