congress passed and now intnl stock market...#2

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yup, men rule... and for the most part I let them. I finally put my foot down the other day about alot of things...just not my heater:>( But at least he isn't going to be bringing pizza in the door anymore just when I'm putting a real supper on the table...oh ya gotta tell you all about that one day!

Farmerchick and roosmom, we have start a womens alliance. You know my mom used to tell me that the fastest way to get a many to do something is to have your neighbors husband over looking at it...that might a worked with my dad...he was the jealous type...but my man would rather me take it to the neighbors:>)
Wow this got really off topic...
gotta get back on track here ladies...Bail Out...something our men are especially good at RFLOL!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA---bail out has a few meanings.

ya know I never thought of that but Tony does cave when I ask my Dad for help on something he should have done or started....so yes, that is a manipulative way for me to push things forward! cool, I forgot that little sneaky trick, time to put that into action again

in reality, men don't have a prayer against us--LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was listening to Glenn Beck last night. The talk was about the 700billion help for the banks (investment firms?). I am rethinking this law, just a little. Ok, I do not think they should bail them out at all. BUT, we all know they are going to. SO, since we know that, then there should be some ground rules right?
1 NO PIGGY BACKING ANY OTHER LAWS ONTO THIS ONE
2 Only help with the very minimum amount needed
3 Get rid of the Hedge funds, merge them into the rest of our (americans) stocks and bonds
4 Make the oversight committee a group of knowledgable, no hidden agenda people
5 Enough government interference now, let the chips fall where they may and start preparing to build from the ground up the HONEST way.

Did I miss anything?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
#5 is what worries me the most in a way. the HONEST way.

they will throw money at the problem, bury all the corruptness of it that will be involved, probably not get the true fix effect they are hoping for....and in the hole we go AGAIN

it will be interesting to see how they handle this??????

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would add a really tight cap on CEO salaries, until that particular company has paid back every cent plus interest, and personally, I don't see why this shouldn't be funded most heavily by the wealthy. I think it's ridiculous to expect the middle and low income to shell out just as much money as the millionaires and billionaires to pay for this billionaire problem. Also, we need to overhaul our entire financial system so this doesn't happen again. No more of this "deregulation" nonsense, there should be no such thing as a company that is so bloated that if one or two of them collapse the entire country collapses. I work with historical documents (right now depression era) and literally when my workmates and I are discussing a topic we have to clarify if we're talking about the 20's and 30's or now. We fixed all these problems back in the 30's and 40's and now here we are again. It's embarrasingly foolish. :rolleyes:

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:|
Our debt is in the trillions. One of the managers for a hedge fund made 3.2? million dollars last year alone.
If we are talking caps (yes I agree) there should be caps on a lot of things. Lets start with a cap on what industries can charge for a new pc of medical equipment, then we can cap what dr's can charge for all aspects of health care, then we can cap hospital charges, then we can cap malpractice suite amounts, then we can cap amounts that can be sued for any type of vehicle accidents, then we could cap car insurance amts, then cap any kind of personal liablility suits which would bring down house and property insurance, etc, etc.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found this on the internet and I thought What a great way to make my feelings known! In case you want to also here is the address.
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/
When you get there you will want to click on the Soapbox icon at the top. On the next page you will probably want to go to the right and click on no to the bailout. The website also tells you who you reps are in washington. :|

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have wirtten my Congressman and Senators til my fingers are ready to drop off.
They have added a couple of unrelated sops to the bill so that the Congressmen who are currently facing re-election can vote for this pile, help the weathy who are the persons they want to listen to, yet defend themselves to the folks who will be voting for them shortly.
But the issue that started this whole mess is still out there- a million more shoes to be dropped- that is the dropping home values of people who now hold mortgages larger than the current value of those homes. Without addressing this, there will be more and more bad debt coming down the pike. It would be relatively easy to help with this if the Congress had the will- but the will they have is all taken up with making deals with each other to stay in office while placating their rich contributers.
The rich doen't need mortgae relief, they need their investments protected. A few of us less well off who still have money in their 401k will be helped along with the real beneficiaries for a short time incidently.
But banks and savings and loans are heavily invested in mortgages- that is where the focus should be.

I was surprised when the House voted it down- I have forgotten about the election effect. But have little hope that any real good will come of this now.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well the senate just stuck a 700 billion knife in our back, the next step is the house and they get it in the morning. good luck America :(

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:(
THis just is not a good morning is it? I first saw on the news that the melamine is in the US and then I saw the vote was FOR the bailout......They do not listen to us. I told hubby this am (not a good time to talk to him lol) the news tells us we should be panicked, they TELL us what they want us to feel and do.....The politicians dont listen, they say we are doing what the people tell us and voting for it....what people? most people I have talked to didnt want it.....I am angry.