congress passed and now intnl stock market...#2

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we always want better for our kids....mostly who wouldn't.

I know my Dad came from the olden times...heck appliances etc. were just not invented yet...LOL...so he couldn't buy them if he wanted them...LOL

But nowadays, what are we buying.....we are getting fancier and fancier "toys", expensive also.....who needs a $2000 laptop? A professional who uses it for work, a college student who needs it for education, a regular kid at home just cause they want one (ok, maybe a $800 laptop for the kid at home..LOL)

My Dad wanted better, meaning he wanted certain inventions that did improve his life quality.......but now we seem to be inventing more and more luxuries....just luxuries. Dad went to Sears to buy a stove.....he had like 3 choices....NOW...you can get a stove that talks, and cooks for you...LOL...

does that all make sense???? what I am trying to say..HA HA

When a bike is a good bike but basic, then they say, get a bike with 10 speeds, oh you better buy this attachment for the seat, you better upgrade in quality for a better frame, oh you need a mirror to see, you need baskets, good ones, not cheap, you need a helmut, you need bike riding outfit now, you need, you need, you need....when all I wanted was a decent bike...LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh lets not get onto the bike subject...my spoiled rotten ( but really good kid, seriously) 14 year old needed a $500 bike this spring. Of course DH fell for it and now he needs all these hundreds of dollars of 'upgrades' Grrrrrr. As many times as I say no, Dad says lets go for a ride to the bike shop son....

And all he NEEDS is a decent bike! Every kid around us is 'upgrading' thier bikes too. I will say this though, they aren't hanging out on street corners drinking or doing drugs. They're parents are getting as tired of it as I am and now they are mowing neighbors lawns for money to put into these upgrades:>)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I can't believe this- the only two suggestions regarding amending the failed bill to get it passed is to call it a "rescue plan" rather than a bail out and to change the laws on the books so that the investment firms do not have to report losses when they occur- for pete's sake how stupid do those in the Congress think we are.
That has been the most offensive part of this whole thing. I used to think that Congress would listen to the rich because they were venial but now I see that they think all of us are to stupid know what we need too.
Nice position for a democracy to be in, isn't it.

The only thing that seems to concern them is satifying their bosses- you know the ones who pay them off.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
roosmom
you said your hubby might lose his job? is this a possibility right now? what line of work is he in?

that is rough...ugh!
He builds.......you guessed it, Houses. So ya I am mentally preparing...that is why my big push for canning all our meat and stuff. If push comes to shove he will do anything, but it will be nowhere near the income he is used to getting. We will survive :).

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I can't believe this- the only two suggestions regarding amending the failed bill to get it passed is to call it a "rescue plan" rather than a bail out and to change the laws on the books so that the investment firms do not have to report losses when they occur- for pete's sake how stupid do those in the Congress think we are.
That has been the most offensive part of this whole thing. I used to think that Congress would listen to the rich because they were venial but now I see that they think all of us are to stupid know what we need too.
Nice position for a democracy to be in, isn't it.

The only thing that seems to concern them is satifying their bosses- you know the ones who pay them off.
You got it right ETR, we are stupid.....we are all sheep, sheep who cant take care of themselves or think for themselves. That is exactly what they think of us, because we have allowed this travesty of a government to go on to long.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ugh---housing construction...yup, you know his field is taking a huge slump now...and more to come. I hope thru some miracle it stays OK for him!!!! fingers crossed for ya!

it is scary when you are more in the field of the hardest hit careers.......

Tony works Commscope and they make underwater communications cables etc. His company is notorious for layoffs in decent times, lol, so these times are scarier.

They just closed the Australia plant and are opening a new plant in China...UGH-UGH-UGH
I even hate talking about it.... :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh Morel
you had me laughing so hard...you were right in what I was talking about....LOL.LOL
at least son and Dad have an interest, spend on the bike..HA HA
I feel for ya! Tony and I bang heads on the cost of things big time also. He wants that stupid like $300 car thing for Nicole to drive...forget it..LOL..ain't happening..LOL

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
oh Morel
you had me laughing so hard...you were right in what I was talking about....LOL.LOL
at least son and Dad have an interest, spend on the bike..HA HA
I feel for ya! Tony and I bang heads on the cost of things big time also. He wants that stupid like $300 car thing for Nicole to drive...forget it..LOL..ain't happening..LOL
ink I could live with it if it was only the bike....ahhh, nope...it's a pedal bike, a dirt bike, a snowmachine, and they each have boats...two of everything! Gas gas and more gas! So my truck has no heater...they are still fixing THIER stuff! I only need a $20 part!!! And someone to put it in for me...Oh no, son's brakes on his icycle aren't working...$50...Oh no, Dh needs a new battery for his boat...$100...and the list goes on every time they take them for a ride!

Uh, honey...I need a heater eh??? You know I won't be able to defog my windows in another month...it's been broken since April...I had no air conditioning all summer...I can live with that...but It's going to be 40 below soon and I really don't feel like pouring a bucket of hot water down my windshield every time I gotta go get the kids at school....(Yup, been there done that)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ROTFLMAO

we must have the same man....LOL

you are definitely the minority against those 2 men! good luck to ya! men rule..HA HA HA

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morelcabin, I have to say that is sad. sad. So fix it yourself. Yes you can do it. Do it and be proud.
I came home from work this spring and asked the certified mechanic neighbor to look at the vehicle. He told me what was wrong, I told him dont fix it, hubby will when he gets home. SOOO, hubby gets home, I tell him, he goes to fix it and breaks off a part under the hood. AWW, you dont need it anyway. I will get it at the junkyard.
What is this, fall, October? Still waiting........