Cooking a Goose

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW--more like roast beef. I never would have given it that flavor...interesting.

thanks so much for the info. roasting bags I have!

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well the hatchery called and they had a poor hatch rate for most of the goslings on my order and they will only be sending four. So pretty much my cooking plans have gone south unless I get an extra male or two.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Now I may be weird but..............you all keep thinking of a Christmas goose and Scrooge but............I keep thinking of the scene from A Christmas Story when the family's turkey is eaten by the neighbor's dogs and they go to the Chinese Rest. and get that duck with the head still on it. Love that scene. If anyone can give us a delicious goose/duck recipe it will be Miss Prissy for sure. I will be waiting for it. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ace
you will be getting 4 right?
can't you eat one of those? Why would your plans go south? Don't understand?
Do you raise them and sell them or something?

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I planned to eat one and breed the rest. And this is pretty much the last hatch for the year for this hatchery and almost every other one as well. I'm going to sex them when they come in tomorrow. I might just go ahead and eat one I'm just worried about having enough to breed for next year. They only breed during certain months so I'm trying to time it so I can have goslings to sell from my own flock.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gotcha

you sure can't eat the profits if you want to breed.

I just raise chickens for eggs for market....we have 400 as of now but do not raise other birds.

what all do you raise and is there a good market for "different" birds?

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Miss Prissy I think has some goose recipes on BYC. And she sugguested looking for victorian era recipes. I'm getting more curious to try eating goose so I think I will sacrifice one gosling for Christmas. I'm going to look around and see what kind of recipes I can find and leave some links here.

FarmerChick I replied to your questiona t this post to avoid hi-jacking your thread here.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=159

ShellieESterling

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've cooked goose.
Put it in an oven bag, with apples, onions, celery, butter and black pepper inside the bird. Cook until it's finished.
Tastes like AWESOME roast beef and the 'stuffing' is great too.

Good luck :D