Cooking a Goose

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
ShellieESterling said:
I've cooked goose.
Put it in an oven bag, with apples, onions, celery, butter and black pepper inside the bird. Cook until it's finished.
Tastes like AWESOME roast beef and the 'stuffing' is great too.

Good luck :D
oooh that sounds good

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can only assume we could do a duck this way? Or do we need to add some "fat" to it?? Anyone know?
That recipe sounds delicious and oh, so easy.

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ozark Hen said:
I can only assume we could do a duck this way? Or do we need to add some "fat" to it?? Anyone know?
I have heard that duck is all dark meat and just as greasy as goose, and the recipe does sound good.

ShellieESterling

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
Ozark Hen said:
I have heard that duck is all dark meat and just as greasy as goose, and the recipe does sound good.
Duck is VERY fatty. Taxidermists have to take a wire wheel to the skin to remove all the fat deposits. I think you'd be fine cooking duck the same way.

And the recipe is EXCELLENT. :weee

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A tip in cooking duck is prick the skin all over and cut some slits in the skin near the thighs to help drain some fat in cooking. Especially on a bbq pit the prickled skin helps release the fat.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ace...we have a ceramic grill...Big Green Egg...can we cook the duck on it? If so how would you do it? Thanks for the fat info.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My husband goose hunts. We have just used the breast meat and were shocked to find it most similar to venison. I guess we had been imagining turkey or chicken :) Dark meat, full of birdshot :p

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You could and I would sugguest placing the duck (if whole) ona vertical roaster which helps drain the fat off. You can "beer can chicken" them as well to help keep the meat moist. Pretty much it depends too if it's a wild duck, home grown or store bought. The store bought ducks will be really greasy and fat. Home grown, muscovey ducks and wild will have less grease and fat when cooked. Use a drip pan under it and use indirect grilling techinques.

I have Steve Raichlen's BBQ USA cookbook and it has a lot of awesome recipes and tips! I keep it handy for when I want to try something new.