cooking without electricity

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you have a large diameter well, you can lower food into it to keep it cool. Also, you can anchor it in a cool stream.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have a gas stove, so we can still cook on that. We also cook on our grill (w/ side burner) I have cooked on a campfire in our yard, when we tore out our kitchen. Pie irons came in handy for that!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a propane stove/oven in my travel trailer and also a portable propane stove. Also have a charcoal grill and a wood stove.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel we would be just fine without electricity for a while. We have a woodstove that I can cook off of. Its funny we actually do cook off of it often in the winter. My boys favorite is Chicken Quesidallas (boy, did I spell that wrong or what) It seems we always have tortillas on hand and some pre cooked chicken in the freezer, then just add cheese! I will also use the grill. We cook on it alot too!! So I guess it really would not hurt us too bad if the power went out. We do have a generator, but we only use that for the freezer and the well pump.

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use the propane and charcoal grill and the propane Coleman 2 burner camping stove. We always keep a supply of those small propane tanks handy.

Ugly Cowboy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wood stove, grill, fire pit, or just eat plain ol beef jerky and summer sausage. And some cheeses dont even even need refridgerated! I didnt know that till a week ago when me and my buddy was scoutin for tracks and he pulled out a hunk of cheese. That was kinda neat! (In case yall didnt know, I'm easily entertained...)

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can cook in a dutch ovens with out electricty. We have a propane camp stove as well. You can get a fridge from a camping store that is a 3 way. It runs off propane, battery or electric.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We have a fire pit and a metal grate to cover it. I have been stocking up on cast iron cookware so I can cook over an open fire if necessary.

Also, trying to talk my husband to get me one of those tripods or make me one so I could hang a large kettle over it too cook in, or heat water for washing laundry :lol:

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have a gas range so i just have to light it but I also keep charcoal for my grill if I have to use it. When I was a kid we made soup, etc on top of the kerosene heater many times.

Latest posts