Cooperation among your neighbors?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I think we would work together. Two of our neighbors are close family, and we already work together to keep all 3 families supplied in wood. Many of our neighbors are elderly, though, so I'm not as sure if they could help. DH already helps them with snow removal. I think that we are all friendly enough and caring enough that we would work together if needed.
That's a good feeling to have.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are new to this particular neighborhood, but have lived in the area before, so are familiar with some of the folks around. I plan to begin bribing my new neighbors to like me very soon with offerings of fresh eggs and homemade apple butter, as soon as my ladies get back in the swing of things :lol:

In our previous home down in southern MI, the neighbors were fantastic, and helpful. Loved them, loved the immediate area. Unfortunately, it was in close proximity to one of the worst towns in our state for unemployment, and people on various forms of state assistance. It is also home to (I think) the largest prison in the state, maximum security, violent offenders. DH felt it was best if, since he travels extensively with work, DS#2 and I were not left alone in an area that could have a 'perfect storm' of problems arise.

Unfortunately, in the few years since we've been gone, this area has taken a huge hit and, as the Hughesnet guy so eloquently pointed out, "Most people around here are on government assistance, of one form or another." So, it is highly doubtful many of them are prepared for even a blizzard, which is always a possibility in this area. At least we have family nearby :hu

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"I'm pretty sure if it has the word 'work' in it, it's NOT a party!" - Lizzi Royer [From your sig, SSDreamin]

Lizzi's wrong, I'd say. The work parties I've been part of have been enjoyable. They've been social, and the work is not so heavy, since there are many people sharing in it. When a problem arises having to do with a question about method, there are experienced people on-site to cunsult with. So, the amount of work that gets done impresses all the participants... so they feel pride. Lastly, the meals have been fantastic, with five or six households contributing something (including desserts)!

That signiture is funny. :yuckyuck But mistaken.;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I love when a bunch of folks get together with a common goal like that! When I was a little girl, my grandma needed a storage building built....a BIG one, about 25x40 and so we had a huge get together with all my uncles, and all of us kids came and helped pass nails and such to the men, or hand them tools. We cooked something in the ground..I don't remember what it was though I was too interested in the building going on :lol: It was FUN and that thing went up FAST! In one day it was completed from dirt to framing, to covered, and the only thing left to do was putting the shingles on it. My little mind was amazed ;)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This morning I just thought of another way that people around here cooperate. There are eight or ten households in my part of our area that get together and make bulk food orders. Mostly for items that can't be grown easily or in abundance in our immediate region. Dried fruit (southern varieties), nuts, nutritional yeast, that sort of thing. A buying circle - a sort of once-a-year, informal "buying club - gets formed. People look over the ordering sheets. They order and purchase in bulk, with the abllity to break up cases or other large units, on the arrival of the shipment. And then meet to do the breakdown, and bring home the goods.

Makes sense anytime you've got the option for price breaks on case lots of canned or packaged goods... you know, the larger the order from the distributor, the less the unit cost you're charged.

Not sure if this idea has been discussed elsewhere... probably has. Probably somewhere in Everything Else Frugality? Just thought I'd add it in here, though.

BusyBlonde

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We are in a rural, agricultural designated area, a small neighborhood with acre lots. My in-laws live next door, and between us we have 3 acres (in-laws bought two to make sure they had 'breathing' room).

My DH and I are the 'oddballs' here. We spend most of our time at home outdoors, working around our property. We have been increasing our garden every year (up to five raised beds and a 15'x30' plot). The thing that caught the most attention among our neighbors is our front-yard chickens. We started with 10, and now have 42.

Other than our in-laws, I think there are only 3 other families here that would be able to be relied on. There is a gentleman who lives on another street who had some great ideas on irrigation and offered to help us build it. He travels a lot (trucker), but seems to be a really cool guy with some great, practical experience. Another man has been a butcher, when we have larger animals to butcher (hopefully in the next couple years) he has offered to help. And our next-door neighbor is a Sheriff's deputy, great guy. He doesn't know much about gardening or raising animals, but he's always willing to help out if we need anything.

There are some people in the neighborhood who try to take advantage of 'they system', the kindness of neighbors, whoever they can scam. We've been taken advantage of by a couple of them in the past, and that won't happen again. We also have new neighbors across the street, just moved in a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen them outside yet, but I need to go introduce myself. May get another ally here!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
We've got some good neighbors we can depend on. And we do. Remember, it's not just about the zombies. It's about ice storms, being snowed in, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. I don't think our whole town would come together like Joplin, MO did, and I pray it never has to, but during ice storms and such, we're pretty well set in our neighborhood.

My mom used to do a buying club when we were growing up. The "neighborhood" (10 mile radius) also had a babysitting exchange. One person kept the books and they just kept track of how many kids for how many hours. Seemed to really work for them.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Joel - What is the name of this town you live in? Utopia?? :lol: What a great bunch of neighbors!!

Out where we are, it's mostly older retired folks, GA recipients and meth addicts. Thankfully, I know the meth addict and she stays to herself and has never caused a problem.

I know for sure that our closest neighbor would be someone we could count on if neccessary. There is also a single lady who lives nearby that is also reliable. Between the 3 households we would be fine. We all see each other daily and pretty much know what's going on in each other's lives. Sort of an extended family. I feel very comfortable knowing they are there and that they can be counted on if needed.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I thought I'd revive this... prompted by a community event we went to yesterday afternoon and evening. A wedding. It was held in one of the community halls, with a local minister officiating. A couple hundred people attending.

Just before the ceremony, the planners passed around bags of "confetti" to toss at the bride and groom as the came down the aisle together, once married. The bags contained a mix of oatmeal & tiny fresh lavender blossoms! :lol:

A big feast afterwards, being a huge potluck of locally grown food! It's one of those events that is encouraging if I think about possible hard times.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My area recently went through a hard time (Isaac). No one asked me for anything, except my daughter needed 2 tanks of gas. My parents did tend to my sibs houses, as far as lack of power went, so they wouldn't return to rotten food. I got an ice chest of thawing food from my brother's refrigerator freezer, but his chest freezer was Okay.
Last storm, my next door neighbor left and we tended their generators and they gave us deer roasts, ducks and fish.
Their is a huge oak in my mom's front yard. I guess we will start cutting to help her and to get our firelogs for this winter. My brother might do the same. Plenty of friends/neighbors in need of friends with chainsaws and woodstoves/fireplaces. One hand washes another.
Of course, I barter with hunters and trawlers for eggs. I'd make out Okay, but I feel I need to beef up security.

Latest posts