Cordless Chainsaw

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a TON of amur maple that somebody 20 years ago thought would be a great addition to the property. Well, they're not :(

Anyways, cutting hundreds of those down and replacing with lots of other stuff. That being said, while cutting some down last summer I discovered we had some plum trees that it was crowding out; so that was a nice surprise :)

i'm not sure how those grow, but sometimes a nice stand of stick wood can come in handy for making some bean poles or other temporary fencing material or rocket stove fuel or ...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well --- my daughter has one and it is GREAT!!

Not sure brand, can find out -- but....she heats with wood a lot and it cuts logs beautifully. She has 2 batteries so she doesn't get going and have to quit. But I was amazed at it's power. NOT as big...maybe 12" blade....and we've gone and taken a couple front loaders of wood out without any saw hesitation for cutting. She cut trees that I've pulled out.

For the type clean up I envision you need, it would be perfect. What I REALLY love --no rope to pull and hold saw at same time!!! pick up saw, push a button and power is there when you pull the trigger to cut.

I'm not into pulling ropes to start stuff....nope, electric starts on everything. Thought about buying one, then realized all I needed was to call her to help. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't electric chainsaws come with a warning that due to the torque put out from them that your chaps might not be able to stop them?
That's a very good question - and I don't know the answer. Thanks for the heads-up though. It's something I will definitely research!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well --- my daughter has one and it is GREAT!!

Not sure brand, can find out -- but....she heats with wood a lot and it cuts logs beautifully. She has 2 batteries so she doesn't get going and have to quit. But I was amazed at it's power. NOT as big...maybe 12" blade....and we've gone and taken a couple front loaders of wood out without any saw hesitation for cutting. She cut trees that I've pulled out.

For the type clean up I envision you need, it would be perfect. What I REALLY love --no rope to pull and hold saw at same time!!! pick up saw, push a button and power is there when you pull the trigger to cut.

I'm not into pulling ropes to start stuff....nope, electric starts on everything. Thought about buying one, then realized all I needed was to call her to help. LOL

Maybe if just ain't used one that was great, because all the electric chainsaws I've used hardly had enough power to cut a small branch.

But I'm totally with you on rope pulling. I think Huskavarna has a lightweight easy start chainsaw. I have their commercial easy start weed whacker, it's a nice one. My son even put a after market metal blade head on it for clearing out saplings.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my method of removing trees is to get them cut before they become big enough to need a chainsaw. :)

i have some loppers which will take down anything 3 inches or less around. it takes some muscle, but i love how quiet they are and how i don't have yet another gadget that needs to be fixed or maintained.

for bigger trees i have to worry about doing damage i have to pay someone to come take them down. well that's not happening any time soon. i've tried for years to get some trees down when they were still the size i could do it myself. nope. not allowed... grr... haha...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
haha. I know that you can handle those big trees. using such chainsaw has that capability... ohhh I really wish that I can have the same gear. I would be really happy.

i have taken down trees with a hammer and chisel, but my preference would be to leave them standing for the wood peckers and other animals that would use them. as long as they aren't a danger to anyone i'd rather just leave them alone. the tree we have too close to the house needs to come out and i can't do that.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After my last chainsaw was stolen I've finally decided we need another one. Really considering a cordless. We don't cut firewood like a lot of folks do. We mainly need it for general cleanup around the house and thought a cordless might fit our needs. Anyone have experience with a cordless? Do they have enough power to do basic jobs? And how long does the charge last?
I guess Im not gonna buy a cordless chainsaw after all. My friend has one and she will let me borrow it. lucky me!