Cornish Cross Spring 2018 Cost/Profit/Loss or Freezer Meat

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know! They're not fun. Mine are not growing out like they usually do. I think I've had them for several weeks now and while they're growing they're not exactly mutating like usual, lol. I do think I have mostly pullets so maybe that's why.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 3 that aren't doing so great. Their legs splay out. I pick them up and put them up to the feed and then to water. They try to stand up, but go backwards. They remind me of babies sitting in a walker (on wheels) that can only go backwards.

Would this be just "one of those things" that one deals with on raising CX? These 3 are from the second batch. I figure I'll butcher them this week. I don't know if they are in pain, suffering, or not. But I do know their legs don't work and they are pitiful.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Part of the routine. One batch, I had a roo's leg snap (like broken), three days before the planned trip to freezer camp. We made him (Vern we named him) a little cardboard box bed, kept him comfortable, fed, and warm. He made the ride to the butcher just fine. My son hooted when we finally used him from the freezer (the busted leg was obvious).

Roo's always had issues. The last two batches, I went with all females, with zero losses/injuries.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, these 3 are on the small side. They just are not thriving. I lost several from this batch.

The final calculations will be pounds of meat versus pounds of feed.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have never had that issue. How big are they? We've had the occasional bird that didn't thrive but never leg issues. Poor guys, CX are pitiful creatures aren't they?

Are you free feeding during the day or feeding twice a day?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got the second batch on March 23. I am getting the feeling that these aren’t that strong of a strain. I could be wrong. I am feeding twice a day. I check water 3 times a day to ensure they don’t run out.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good, feeding twice a day makes for (usually) healthier birds! I've had some weird strains too, one was like the carnivorous attack chicken strain and I battled them assassinating and eating each other. It's what made us not want to raise them anymore! Although we still might because I'm a spoiled breast meat eater... Lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We moved the coop up again today. Solid poop. DH washed it in, all this poop oughta make the grass grow!

Latest posts