Cornish Cross Spring 2018 Cost/Profit/Loss or Freezer Meat

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know what live weight is needed to wind up with a 4-5 pound butchered bird? I don't have a scale to weigh a live chicken on, maybe I could get one of those DE-Liars......a fish scale to hang fish on. They are called DE-Liars because once weighed, you can't lie about how big was the fish you caught. LOL LOL

I have some that seem to be getting pretty big, might have to start slaughtering next week. I will post pictures.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FAAFF0B7-66AD-4B34-8294-637BCD34FE1F.jpeg
We gave up on moving the coop. Despite my best efforts, the chickens run to the back and several have been injured. So I am throwing bags of pine needles in there. After we butcher, we’ll drag the coop forward and spread all the litter.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens are all on lockdown. A family of hawks are nesting right on the fence line, about 100 yards from there. I hear them calling all the time. Maybe after the chicks grow up and fly away, they won't be such a problem. The hawks have landed on fence posts near the coops, studying the occupants. :\

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When we walk down the fence line, they screech at us. LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you! First time to raise CX and I find that I like them, they are sweet friendly chickens. I need to weigh a few of the biggest to see where I am on slaughter weight.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
View attachment 7276 We gave up on moving the coop. Despite my best efforts, the chickens run to the back and several have been injured. So I am throwing bags of pine needles in there. After we butcher, we’ll drag the coop forward and spread all the litter.
Maybe take a piece of plywood in with you like the width of the tractor and maybe a foot tall, I don't think they could get over or around that to get to the back. As the coop is pulled forward move the plywood backwards. IDK worth a try maybe...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know what live weight is needed to wind up with a 4-5 pound butchered bird?

I don't know. BUT weight before & after butcher & let us know. :D You could use a bathroom scale, holding bird?

But, I suspect a hanging fish scale be more practical. I'd put it in a cloth bag live. You can tie legs & hang, once flopping stopped. I'm thinking 2# loss would not be unreasonable.

They are looking good & you have more than I'd want to do in one session.