Cornish Cross Spring 2020

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's great BB, thanks for posting your CCX journey. On the feeder, I use a rubber tub. Yeah, they sit and sh!t in it, but they poop in the water tray too. They are poop machines. I feed mine out on a 28% game bird crumble. You had 4 people working on the processing! That is awesome! We make a cone out of cardboard and duct tape. My redneck processing LOL.

We are back on track today and will slaughter more dirty birdies. I have 19 left to do. Dunno how many, BJ is rather tired from our travels over the weekend and going to pick up a puppy yesterday. I'm about to go get chores done, then we'll get started. He suggested doing 6 today. I'm for whatever he wants to do, but I was secretly hoping for 10. LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll are lighting the fire in me to get more CCX. I don't want them until fall but I'm thinking I should go ahead and get my order in... I have a love/hate relationship with those birds, but I really need to get to it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That's great BB, thanks for posting your CCX journey. On the feeder, I use a rubber tub. Yeah, they sit and sh!t in it, but they poop in the water tray too. They are poop machines. I feed mine out on a 28% game bird crumble. You had 4 people working on the processing! That is awesome! We make a cone out of cardboard and duct tape. My redneck processing LOL.

We are back on track today and will slaughter more dirty birdies. I have 19 left to do. Dunno how many, BJ is rather tired from our travels over the weekend and going to pick up a puppy yesterday. I'm about to go get chores done, then we'll get started. He suggested doing 6 today. I'm for whatever he wants to do, but I was secretly hoping for 10. LOL
I used to feed 24% protein feed, but I lost some. Did you lose any with that high protein feed?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I lose a couple, but I don’t care what you do, you can’t stop kamikaze chickens.

FEM you need to get your order in. With all the Covid-Farmers out there, chicks of all kinds are in short supply.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got 9 in the ice chest. They have gotten huge. We were done at 12:30. But dewberries are ready so we spent 2 hours picking in the fence row across from our place. Got enough for a nice cobbler. Now we are tired, back hurts, I think we need a nap.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yep - sent an inquiry to that hatchery you used inquiring if I could pre-order this early for delivery in October. Waiting on their reply.
I did the same thing for my fall batch. Cackle will deliver the first week of September, and I have mine ordered. I also have a batch of RIR coming next month. I anticipate killing and canning some hens this fall and want some suitable replacements.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have ten more to go. Just woke up, LOL. Guess I’ll process these tomorrow. At this point, I hate chickens. Never want to see another chicken, much less eat one! Stupid dirty birdies! LOL LOL Really shouldn’t have gone berry picking, tired!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slow down! But, I'm jealous of dewberry picking. I don't dare... I refuse to ever wander in the brush again because of the "poisons." But, I have mulberries. YUM!

Last edited: