Cornish Cross Spring 2020

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Lovely looking carcass. Mechanical plucker? Please, if you have the details, share the stats: Feed conversion rate, average dressed carcass wt. Age at processing. Love those details!
No, hand plucked. I don't have any of those details yet, but I can after I weigh them tomorrow.

I read last night something I did not know. After you cut their throats, take your knife and destroy the brain through the mouth. It supposedly will help release the feathers during plucking.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No, hand plucked. I don't have any of those details yet, but I can after I weigh them tomorrow.

I read last night something I did not know. After you cut their throats, take your knife and destroy the brain through the mouth. It supposedly will help release the feathers during plucking.

Yeah...tried that once and it doesn't make the least bit of difference. Also tried that as a killing method and it was absolutely horrible....it didn't kill them but the gore spilled out their mouths, scrambled brain and blood. Never again.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah...tried that once and it doesn't make the least bit of difference. Also tried that as a killing method and it was absolutely horrible....it didn't kill them but the gore spilled out their mouths, scrambled brain and blood. Never again.
I did it, but the rational part of me said if they don't have their heads how will they know their brain is destroyed? I would not try it as a method to kill them. Cutting throats is the only way. I need cones now.

We did really dunk them and move them around in the water to scald them instead of just setting them in it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dad used that method to kill chickens. When he did it, the process was quick, and no more messy than slitting the carotids. He said it was the "kosher" method. Supposed to make plucking easier, and give a better bleed out.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last time I processed, I used a heavy plastic bag to make a killing cone (wood pellet bag). I stapled it into the correct size/shape, then hung it on the wall over my laundry sink. I found the tap water was hot enough for the scald b/c it was real close to my hot water tank. BB, did you put some dish soap in your scald water? That helps b/c the soap cuts the oil in the feathers.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Last time I processed, I used a heavy plastic bag to make a killing cone (wood pellet bag). I stapled it into the correct size/shape, then hung it on the wall over my laundry sink. I found the tap water was hot enough for the scald b/c it was real close to my hot water tank. BB, did you put some dish soap in your scald water? That helps b/c the soap cuts the oil in the feathers.
No, we just rotated stock pots of water off of the canning stove out in the yard for plucking.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a nice looking carcass BB, I know you are happy to have that done!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
c%bb+3A2Qo2XjFJHmMnwlw.jpg

vYjolLfrSYys10fV1oD%mw.jpg

yaQZgUwoThuu4%wlANSoHw.jpg

EWLQiVjeQ7CW38goMMipPQ.jpg

F2ZyRx%7TrmvA%a9N8KdpQ.jpg

MFjFPSfdT6m9YvclOh2szg.jpg

So, I ran the cost analysis on this project this evening. We were shipped 27 Cornish Rock Cross from Cackle Hatchery on March 17th. We slaughtered on May 12th. It was approximately 8 weeks. The lowest weight was 3 lbs 1 oz. and the heaviest weight was 5 lbs. 4.4 oz. I purchased all of the feed up front in the beginning due to concerns of acquiring the feed during COVID-19. I bought two bags of 18% starter/grower and five bags of 20% meat bird feed. That fed them to the 8 week mark. For processing, I had to buy 10 large bags of ice to chill the carcasses overnight to allow them to rest, and we purchased a Food Saver vacuum sealer and the bags to wrap the birds. In the cost analysis, I spent $264.59 on chicks, feed, ice, and bags. I did not include the cost of an additional waterer, or the Food Saver as they will be used for other projects.

We harvested 103 pounds of meat. This was 24 whole chickens, 1 bag of livers, 1 bag of necks, 1 bag of hearts, and 1 bag of giblets for broth. This equated to $2.56 a pound for the chicken. Last week, we purchased a whole chicken for $1.59 a pound. So, we were 97 cents higher per pound. However, the security and blessing of a full freezer is priceless.

This is not my first rodeo at all, but this has been my favorite one! I ordered another batch for the fall a few weeks ago too.

So, here are the things I'll do differently in the Fall...

1. Larger capacity feeder. The feeder I used needed to be larger to accommodate the amount. I will also make sure I feed broiler feed the entire time. I think that was why they were on the smaller side.
2. Larger water capacity. I used 3 one gallon founts, and they were out every evening. I need to add an additional source in there toward the end.
3. Killing cones. I tied them upside down on the clothes line, but I had some that popped wing bones as they flopped. I need a better way to do that.

Things that went great...

1. This was the healthiest batch ever. I only lost two, and messed one up in processing. They were clean and the smell was not that bad either for some reason. I tripled their room in their pen and brooded outside. It made all the difference.

2. The vacuum sealer was a terrific purchase. It was worth the investment! I have read for a decade how awesome they were, but did not buy in. Well, now I believe it!

3. The processing was super successful. I had four people helping (including me). We each had a job and finished in 5 hours. We could have been done quicker, if I had been killing two at a time to deliver to them.

Overall, a great turnout I think. I have some changes to make, but I have definitely learned a lot since I brought home my first broiler chicks from Tractor Supply in a KFC bucket in 2012.