Cornish Cross Spring 2020

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's great BB, thanks for posting your CCX journey. On the feeder, I use a rubber tub. Yeah, they sit and sh!t in it, but they poop in the water tray too. They are poop machines. I feed mine out on a 28% game bird crumble. You had 4 people working on the processing! That is awesome! We make a cone out of cardboard and duct tape. My redneck processing LOL.

We are back on track today and will slaughter more dirty birdies. I have 19 left to do. Dunno how many, BJ is rather tired from our travels over the weekend and going to pick up a puppy yesterday. I'm about to go get chores done, then we'll get started. He suggested doing 6 today. I'm for whatever he wants to do, but I was secretly hoping for 10. LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The last 10 are on ice and will be processed today. We have things to do the rest of the week, so will put the offal in the freezer. I have a lot of broth and dog food canning ahead of me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The last 10 are on ice and will be processed today. We have things to do the rest of the week, so will put the offal in the freezer. I have a lot of broth and dog food canning ahead of me.

Bay, congratulations on a meat project well done and finished...for now. What a wonderful thing to have on hand all winter!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bought these from a place that raises pastured chicken. And they slaughter poultry for other people. I have no need for that service, but will be glad to pass the info on. They hatch every week. You can pick chicks up at the farm for $1.00 each. They also ship. It’s a little more if they ship.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love doing my FF. Have been doing so for years, and even this winter, when temps down into single digits, the birds have been able to eat their FF with me only having to add some dry pellets on a few days. IME, i would still have to be carrying the same amount of water out to the birds every morning. But, with FF, at least 1/2 of their water is in the feed. Less water for them to muck up in the heated bowl, and I don't have to top off the heated bowl as often. I found that my bird's consumption of FF is .19#/bird/day compared to .25#/bird/day when feeding dry. So... a definite savings.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love doing my FF. Have been doing so for years, and even this winter, when temps down into single digits, the birds have been able to eat their FF with me only having to add some dry pellets on a few days. IME, i would still have to be carrying the same amount of water out to the birds every morning. But, with FF, at least 1/2 of their water is in the feed. Less water for them to muck up in the heated bowl, and I don't have to top off the heated bowl as often. I found that my bird's consumption of FF is .19#/bird/day compared to .25#/bird/day when feeding dry. So... a definite savings.

That saving really adds up with CX birds, as their consumption is so high. I feel the FF keeps them better hydrated, less prone to heat issues, and also seems to add more flavor to the meat....CX don't have much flavor to begin with compared to an older DP broiler, so any added flavor is a bonus.

Now, more than ever, the need to make feed stretch is imperative, so FF is a great way to help do that....also keeps down illness, flies, and smells.