Cornish Cross Spring 2020

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:epWow! That looks awesome.

Here is a photo of mine. I think they are six weeks old. I feel like I have had them for a million years. I have 1 1/2 bags of feed left. I may grab another bag or two. They seem smaller than normal.

ux0LHR7PQ5OdV0xxvojxyA.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bay if you want to stretch that feed a bit you could ferment it. If not wanting to fuss with that, now that you are working, you could just wet it down before feeding it so they don't scratch it out of the pan as much.

Love the looks of all that green grass!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have some clabbered kiefer in the refrigerator in the refrigerator that I've been saving for fermenting the feed with. I'll be mixing up some fermented feed tomorrow. How long do I let it set before feeding it? It will be in a building that gets rather hot, how will that affect it?

Makes it ferment rather quickly, especially with a starter like that. You'd likely mix it the night before and be ready to feed it out the next day~that first day you'll detect a slight yeasty smell, but each day after that the smell will grow stronger into a sourdough smell. Save a little in the bottom of your bucket each rebatch to "back slop" the next batch. Don't worry about it getting too fermented, with the CX you'll be feeding it out rather quickly. Don't worry about any white fuzz you may see on the feed or the bucket, just stir it in....in that hot of a storage place, it will be yeast growth but that's all good.

Might want to feed it to the layers as well....you'll be shocked at how sweet and mild the eggs taste. Takes the sulfur taste right out of them, leaving a nutty, sweet and clean flavor behind. Also takes that farmyard smell and taste out of their meat. It's kind of cool how that simple process provides so many benefits, both to the animal and their environment but also to the end result of the meat. Same with hogs...increases wt. gain, increases health, increases flavor of the meat...decreases overall food cost.

Latest posts