Cornish Cross Spring 2020

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I haven't had any broody girls this year, and I really thought I would. I have 15 RIR pullets coming in June. Bee, this is my second year with White Rocks and they are awesome. Love them!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are the WR roosters mean? I hate a mean rooster. My EE rooster attacked me on Tuesday. I was already worked up on the thought of putting Sentry down and boy howdy, did I ever take it out on that durned rooster! We did a kick-step idiot mad dog dodging rooster dance with me kicking his stupid head and him retreating and attacking. I finally dumped the feed out of the bucket into the tub, then used the bucket to lambast him with. There was no escape from my wrath! I dang near beat him to death. He finally huddled up in a corner, bleeding from his stupid head. I stopped whalloping him with the bucket and let him be. Now he has gone back to his good behavior, getting on the roost when I go in the coop. His 4 girls are slated to go to a neighbor when the coop is finished, then I'm giving him a lesson on rooster slaughter and Mr Stupid will go home in a baggie to be their crock pot dinner. My little granddaughters love them some mean rooster soup, but I can now make any chicken soup and call it mean rooster soup. LOL LOL I HATE MEAN ROOSTERS.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Are the WR roosters mean? I hate a mean rooster. My EE rooster attacked me on Tuesday. I was already worked up on the thought of putting Sentry down and boy howdy, did I ever take it out on that durned rooster! We did a kick-step idiot mad dog dodging rooster dance with me kicking his stupid head and him retreating and attacking. I finally dumped the feed out of the bucket into the tub, then used the bucket to lambast him with. There was no escape from my wrath! I dang near beat him to death. He finally huddled up in a corner, bleeding from his stupid head. I stopped whalloping him with the bucket and let him be. Now he has gone back to his good behavior, getting on the roost when I go in the coop. His 4 girls are slated to go to a neighbor when the coop is finished, then I'm giving him a lesson on rooster slaughter and Mr Stupid will go home in a baggie to be their crock pot dinner. My little granddaughters love them some mean rooster soup, but I can now make any chicken soup and call it mean rooster soup. LOL LOL I HATE MEAN ROOSTERS.

I've never had one even look sideways at me. In fact, they are quite moochy and some will come sit by me as I split firewood or do construction projects and not for treats, as I'm not a treat giving woman. Huge, heavy, regal looking birds and sweet as can be when handled....I've never even had one of the roosters flap or struggle when I've plucked them off the roost to be worked on.

My grandgirls can go in the coop, grab hens, squat down and play in the feed trough and the roosters don't look at them twice. I've never had to school a WR rooster on proper etiquette around humans.

Those 50 CX? I had a WR rooster at the time, living in the coop with the little ones at first....and he started to mother them, squatting in the brooder with them at night and trying to warm all 50 CX. It was darling.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Seems like I remember the broody rooster!! I definitely will get more White Rocks in the future. This last batch of RIR I got from Cackle have been great too. I had a broody one last fall, and they are big birds. They also have a wonderful dark coloring and lay great brown eggs. Much better than the ones I had in 2009!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did a little vacuum sealing today myself. I wanted to brew today, but life got in the way. Seal up the grains so they stay fresh, until I can brew.

IMG_20200503_193422117.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the 13 processed. I am tired. 5 were whole chickens, the rest I cut and vacuum sealed. These chickens are so big, I like to not got the whole birds in a gallon vacuum seal bag. The biggest one was 7 pounds, 9 ounces. The smallest was 6 pounds. These are big and ready 2weeks sooner than when we have raised them before. We will go back to the same place and get more!

This is a 7 pound 6 ounce whopper.

View attachment 13899

You guys ROCK, that's a great looking processed bird right there. I would have snapped a picture.of that awesomeness also.You couldn't even get any better processing job even if were processed at Purdue (that's our local processing plant).

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
@BarredBuff Those look great! Nice and clean, fully feathered - beautiful birds. Bet they feel like bowling balls if you pick one up, they are nearly as big as the headless chicken you have in there with them, lol.
Thanks! They are the healthiest bunch and cleanest I have ever raised. The smell is not that bad either.

The headless chicken was hit by a car, and lived! She has been recovering with the meat birds. Still lays well too!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have 7 more on ice. I’m going to package these up. We plan on doing 8 tomorrow. 4 seems to be the magic number on getting them scalded before the water gets cold. So we’ll break them in 2 batches of 4.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No chicken slaughter today. Rain is predicted by the weather liars, I don't want a bunch of dead chickens and it starts raining. That is one job that I will not do in the house! So I'll work in the garden today.