Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just read in the news that there is an increase in the number of people seeking out rural living.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My blood pressure runs a little high....145/88, plus or minus a little. But when the primary care dr started pushing BP medicine, I said NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Talked to my chiropractor about that too. He said that the "standards " are not geared to take into account "older people". He said that they learned early on in school, and it was since reiterarted to them at a seminar, that you take the "older population" .... 100 plus their age and that is the "high end"; top number, for them. I fall well below that most all the time. He worries less about the bottom number.
I was a bit worried after that "spell" I had but no more. I need to take better care of my spine and alignment. Need to get some weight off that I hope I can do once I get to walking more on this "new ankle" , and just try to eat healthier and take some supplements since I know I can't get it all from my food at this age. Raise and eat as much of my own as I can, try to stay away from too much junk. Not going the merry go round with all the drugs. Trauma medicine is great in this country, but for everyday take care of yourself health, there is too much of the pharmaceutical companies, getting into everyone's pockets and too much dependencies for people have "excuses" to not take care of themselves. There are enough with legitimate problems, that do need care, but I am not getting on that band wagon unless there is something that they find that can't be dealt with in any other way.

I think you're on the right track, but I think a bit more digging would help you. I feel obligated to share that hypertension (over 120/60) is the worst risk factor for COVID-19 complications. But you absolutely can get your blood pressure down without medication! (and the chiro's advice about blood pressure being a condition of aging is dead wrong.) The most common cause of high blood pressure is high insulin - insulin makes us retain sodium and fluid which raises blood pressure. There are so many strategies to get insulin down, find one that works in your lifestyle and preferences. Dr. Fung is my favorite doctor to explain it. He is a nephrologist who treats diabetes patients, so he is dealing with the intricacies of blood pressure management in his clinical practice. He promotes fasting and is using it successfully to REVERSE diabetes and hypertension. :eek: He's very good at explaining the science in an accessible way - which is why he's my favorite. He has a couple books published and lots of content on youtube. I love that he's literally not selling anything (well, other than the books, but that's what libraries are for). Fix the health problem without medications or supplements - I think we're solidly on the same page there.

I have functional instability of my cervical spine, and tipping my head back is the worst. When my vertebrae subluxate a bit, the head back position compresses arterial blood flow to my head. (youtube Hautant's test and try it sometime for fun). I think your theory of neck alignment causing those symptoms is extremely valid. Cerebral hypoperfusion can mimic a stroke or even cause a TIA. I have another health problem that causes cerebral hypoperfusion, so this is something I've experienced myself!

For alignment, Katy Bowman of Nutritious Movement is a tremendous resource. She has books, free podcast and blog material, as well as streaming video and DVDs. She teaches alignment and movement. She's an incredible teacher. Her materials have helped me much more than physical therapy. I use her stuff for the areas my physical therapists were trying to target. The physical therapists never got the alignment stuff worked out right. At $30/month for the streaming video option it's a heckuva lot less expensive than paying for physical therapy - $1K/month or more since my insurance doesn't cover it.

Apologies to everyone else for hijacking, I will stand down now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
there's lots of natural foods and herbs that can help with hypertension and related cardio problems. Hawthorn comes to mind, as well as hibiscus. It's a good idea to talk with a doctor first before you start using these, because they can react with some medications.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hibiscus tea lowers blood pressure a little. It's one of the things you're supposed to stay away from if you have low blood pressure. Hubby has hereditary high blood pressure. He was being stupid and wouldn't go to the doctor no matter what I said for the last several years. This stroke was a wake up slap. He KNEW it was likely as strokes are common in his family. Urgh. He's now back on BP meds and it's slowly coming down. Our cuff couldn't read him before it was so high as it maxes out around 225 on the high end. Weekly doctor checks for the next month still, then every other week. He's getting hibiscus for his evening tea. We both like it and the dried flowers aren't too expensive.

Hawthorn is supposed to lower BP as well but the berries on our trees are rather bland.

Hubby's also been working on his meditation as it also helps. He hasn't used the technique for years.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Licorice is another to reduce blood pressure, you can find it most often as a sweetener in herbal teas.

Berberine is a fantastic one that helps with blood glucose and hypertension both. It's so beneficial!

Basil, ginger, garlic, cinnamon and celery seed as said to reduce blood pressure too. How much to be effective? I don't know. But doesn't that make you want to spread some pesto on a salmon filet and pop it in the oven?

I have genetic risk for high blood pressure and poor response to blood pressure medications but mine is actually low. Well it's labile or whatever. It's low until I stand up and then it's high. Whatever. :gig

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Licorice is another to reduce blood pressure, you can find it most often as a sweetener in herbal teas.

Berberine is a fantastic one that helps with blood glucose and hypertension both. It's so beneficial!

Basil, ginger, garlic, cinnamon and celery seed as said to reduce blood pressure too. How much to be effective? I don't know. But doesn't that make you want to spread some pesto on a salmon filet and pop it in the oven?

I have genetic risk for high blood pressure and poor response to blood pressure medications but mine is actually low. Well it's labile or whatever. It's low until I stand up and then it's high. Whatever. :gig

no no licorice Increases blood pressure. All of my books warn against that as it's very well documented. If you eat too much or just regularly, you can actually give yourself nasty hypertension even if your BP was normal before. If you Google licorice hypertension you'll get plenty of hits to medical sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts