Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was told that my higher than normal blood pressure reading at the last checkup could very well be from wearing the mask due to my struggling for air. @Lazy Gardener ; I would have taken his mask off in a heartbeat if he was feeling faint from lack of "air". Yes, at their age they are at risk anyway, but that was way over the top.
I wear the mask at PT because they require it but I find myself struggling during exercises due to restricted air. In fact, often I will slip it below my nose so as to be able to get enough air to breathe. Do not wear it for most anything else even though it is "mandated" here in Va.
There isn't a mask to be seen at any of the dairies I milk test, and did not see any in evidence when I took the hog to the butcher that will cut it up and be curing the bacons and hams.
The number of "positives" goes up by leaps and bounds..... but they are not telling you how many recovering people there are. It sounds like all the 1,000's that are reported every day will all succumb to this virus, with no survivors.
The whole thing is getting out of hand and I dare them to pay this much attention to the rate of flu infections and hospitalizations this fall/winter.
Yes it is serious, and yes it hit us hard and with a vengeance.... yes we lost many people. The overall average, across the country, is 45% deaths are in nursing homes/residential care facilities. But no one is talking of the numbers of recoveries, no one is talking about the percentages of those that are confirmed positive that are retests..... and even with the supposed "short life" of anti-bodies.... how many 1,000's have gotten over it. People who have the flu aren't guaranteed to be immune for the rest of their life. People who get a cold....CORONA VIRUS FAMILY.... aren't guaranteed to not get another cold for 3 months or 6 months or a year. You have to take precautions, and you have to try to get your body better equipped to handle these things; by building your immune system up. Even older people can do things to help and being cautious is one of them. If we continue down this road, we are never going to open up this country and we are going to destroy our economy and from there it is a total downhill spiral.... because people won't have jobs, they won't have food, they won't have access to medical care, there will be more and more chaos, and it will become a police state that is run by and controlled by the ones in power and we will be unable to make any decisions for ourselves.
We cannot live in a bubble, and we have got to get out and use some common sense and get on with our lives and continue to expose ourselves to germs and viruses and bugs and such to get our immune systems to function properly.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wasn't it you who said your BP is always up when you go to the doc....white coat effect and all that? I tend to have that myself - whether I'm wearing a mask or not, lol!

If you're struggling to breathe with a mask on - you might consider a different mask. Some of them are more restricting than others.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My BP is also up. But not from wearing a mask. I have refused to wear one. I have a medical waiver. My respiratory status is in the toilet right now, My BP is up b/c I have been responsible for 2 adults with dementia multiple diagnoses, and needing assist for mobility, while trying to run their household, my own household, and the animals. I am thankful beyond words for the support my husband is providing at this time.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, my blood pressure tends to run a little higher with the "white coat syndrome" that they say is from people who don't like to go to drs., but it was higher than I even like to see it this last time. I am using the simple blue masks that they ahve at all the dr offices now, and I am still having trouble with breathing with it. A neckerchief like a cowboy is just as bad.
Don't wear it except for the dr and PT but PT is 2-3 times a week for the ankle and the knees.

Don't see why your BP wouldn't be through the roof with all you have had to deal with, with your folks and all. Kudos to both you and your husband.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have labile blood pressure, episodically unstable oxygen saturation, prone to fainting. I agree with the suggestion to try a different mask. If there is a frail person with confirmed oxygen saturation problem caused by a mask, well yeah that person shouldn't wear a mask. They could wear a face shield though? PRobably not necessary if everyone around them is masked?

But I get the sense that most people complaining are healthy-enough average people who just don't want to. There was an interesting article published that evaluated mask-wearing and social distancing with various cognitive abilities. Mask wearing correlates with measures of higher intelligence and greater empathy, but the VERY interesting measure in my opinion is that mask wearing correlates with higher working memory. I found this so relatable because when I'm on my feet too much, especially without compression garments, I get cerebral hypoperfusion which presents as ADHD type symptoms like low working memory. When I'm experiencing this I get dirty looks for getting too close to people. I'm still wearing a mask because that's a habit now but the staying 6 feet away takes a surprising amount of cognitive skill that I don't always have. Please note that having weaker executive function will artificially depress intelligence testing results, so unless they did complete evaluations (expensive!) the higher IQ correlation might not be valid. The tests are definitely not perfect.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read where a woman and her daughter were going to get tested. They came in and signed up, but there was a LONG wait. After an hour or so, they had other things to do, so they left WITHOUT getting tested. Three days later they got a call from the hospital that they had tested positive. ???

Also, this:
Population of Germany, Sweden, Denmark and Norway combined:
Total NEW Covid cases reported yesterday:
Population of United States:
Total NEW Covid cases reported yesterday:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
List of current shortages, please add what you know

• Gatorade powder. :lol: good luck finding that anywhere, the few left online are at insane prices
  • CO2. less fuel consumption has shut down ethanol plants, which is where we get most of CO2 supply. Small suppliers are already impacted. I discovered this one when DH gave me a SodaStream last week.
  • Weights for home fitness. When you can find them, prices are double pre-COVID prices

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Anyone notice that Fla corona virus tests are 100% positives.....Interesting....every single person tested is positive
What's happening is some of the labs are not reporting the negative cases to the state. They're supposed to. I'm confident this is going to get fixed because having correct data is so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.