Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got my Walmart grocery order in just in time. When I went into the app to start my December shopping list, there was an overwhelming amount of sold out items - many which had been on my November shopping list.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Stores not looking good. It is a mess. I am going to go and get some things that I want to stock up on.... I don't "need" anything special... but if there is some of some of the things that were in short supply before, I will pick up some more. I hope that I have enough of some things. Going to check on a couple places that were supposed to get some more freezers in as I am planning to do a beef.... and don't have enough room for one now. Never thought that it would be like this; this late in the year. And the price of everything continues to go up.... slowly but just look at what it costs to get a meal at a drive thru...... I need to get the freezers cleaned out and condensed but I still want more space for when I do the beef and then the chickens. Trying to just get canned and shelf stable things now. I will have a garden this coming year, but want to have some of the basics still put back.
And getting some cocoa is a good idea. Have to remember to look for yeast again too.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're good on everything but fresh milk and cheese. Those are just regular list items. I stocked up on anything that could be stored well before now. I even got powdered cream for hubby's coffee in case we can't get fresh.

Everyone went insane here on Sunday after the partial shutdown was announced. I hadn't read the news when we went for the weekly trip and got lucky. Stores were hard in morning, eased during Seahawks game, then slammed in the evening. We went during the game.

I have over 6 months of TP and Paper towels so we're not fighting over that stuff. We normally only buy that stuff twice a year. I was paying attention to early warning signs last month and got stuff a little early.

I have to go out for gas today. Will stop by and look at getting a few things early.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought a NIDO whole milk powder so DH doesnt have to go in the gas station to get milk. Powdered milk seems to be selling out too?

I didnt stock up on cheese. I decided we will do without when we run out. I have ingredients for dairy free cooking. (I eat dairy free, DH eats a lot of dairy, kids eat whatever depends on if DH or I cooked.)

Fixit

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pantry is full. NIDO is my preferred powder milk also . Have lots of powdered buttermilk on hand that we made 2 years ago.
If things get to bad we might eat through this 250 lbs. of cured meat I have hanging . Have more in brine right now.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I stored canned goods over the summer and fall, I got a lot of canned milk for cooking. There are two bags of powdered milk as well. Grandma's sweet roll recipe actually called for canned milk over fresh.

Dad doesn't like to spend money anymore so my parents have been mostly on month to month food buying. Since early summer I kept going on about them getting a few extra cans every time they shopped. Finally I put some paranoia into him. Mom got to stock up like she hasn't since we were kids. Just the other day Dad was saying how glad he was that they stocked up.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks y’all, just added canned milk to my list. I bought cheese and froze it. I learned long ago to let it thaw on the counter until it is warm to room temperature. That way it isn’t as crumbly. Thaw in refrigerator and it is crumbly.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't know that about thawing cheese. I usually only freeze cheese I'm going to use in cooking.

Mom didn't know that butter froze well. She was bemoaning the sale a couple weeks ago because she doesn't start on Christmas cookies until the end of the month. After I talked to her, she bought her limit and froze it.

Status
Not open for further replies.