Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We are pretty much shutdown for at least two weeks, and possibly longer. Tonight, we went to Costco and rounded out our food storage. It will be our last trip to the big town for a long time. I am going in the morning to stock up on feed, and other essentials that we didn't get at Costco. Costco was packed.

Luckily, my strategy on supplies worked. The average American buys junk food. That's what people were buying. We bought hams, roasts, and chicken to can. We bought carrots to can. We have more potatoes and onions in storage. Plus several other needed items like Peanut Butter, Cooking Oil, etc. I have almost everything I need to make bread for several months. None of the "essentials" were out.

They had plenty of Vitamin C and B12. However, they did not have any Clorox, hand sanitizer, or toilet paper. Luckily we have plenty of homemade soap, and supplies for more batches.

I was not prepared like I should have been for this event, but it is working it self out.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plenty of everything for a person -- or 10 -- for several months. Making a feed run in AM because it's normal time. But, I will buy some extra in case the store or supply chain falters. Soon, there will be a LOT of grass here and I sure have enough seed to grow feed beyond grass. Heck, I could PLANT enough for several families with all this seed!! No problem with land or fertilizer....there is a LOT of fertilizer here. RFLOL.

I worked at a couple Dollar Generals today and one was totally out of hand sanitizers, aloe, alcohol. Other was out of those and TP. It's just people in panic. Oh -- guys, peroxide works, too.

I can make bread, biscuits. Freezers are full, large amount of canned goods, rice, pasta, beans, elderberries (dehydrated, frozen, juice, etc. I went nuts this summer! Loaded up). Don't use RXs, ample staples, including oils, vinegar, lard, etc.. Lot of first aid supplies, hand sanitizers, alcohol, etc. -- always, as I have animals!! LOL Have 5 goats in milk -- cream, butter, cheese, etc. from that -- hens are laying 2.5-3 doz a day and not all are fully laying! I am good. Homemade soap is plentiful & enough supplies to make several hundred bars in house.

Personally, I feel it is a nasty flu that can be really hard on a poor immune system. It is not anything I want or intend to have if I take the usual precautions. No panic here but, that is because I am in a good situation. Many are not. Many will be in trouble when the stores close with little stock &/or forced, due to people who have no $$ -- job sites close, etc. The trickle down for such situations is more of a consideration to me than the actual virus -- as an event to reckon with.

Guess I'll pick up some extra gas and tractor diesel while I'm out tomorrow, too.

Right now -- I'm washing the pipes with some alcohol -- a beer!

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also intend to buy more feed tomorrow. Usually, I intend to use up every bag before it is 6 weeks old. But... this time... I will buy some extra. I'll be setting duck and chicken eggs within a few days, and want to have the starter on hand. B/C of St. Patty's day, carrots are on sale. Not organic... but... I'll buy some more and can them anyways. Put up about 12#. That should provide enough to carry us through until the garden is producing well.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The way it's going I'm just waiting for the governor to shut down everything.

We could live off just the smoked meats in my freezer for a few weeks. I still have about 60 cans of tuna. I have fresh meat, fish, and clams as well. I'll get some extra pasta when I get groceries tomorrow or Saturday. I egg noodles are fine for some things and I do make them occasionally, but I like penne for certain things. I got extra potatoes last week. I have lots of frozen veggies.

There is also the main ingredient for 2 pots of noodle soup waiting for me to deal with them.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plenty of everything for a person -- or 10 -- for several months. Making a feed run in AM because it's normal time. But, I will buy some extra in case the store or supply chain falters. Soon, there will be a LOT of grass here and I sure have enough seed to grow feed beyond grass. Heck, I could PLANT enough for several families with all this seed!! No problem with land or fertilizer....there is a LOT of fertilizer here. RFLOL.

I worked at a couple Dollar Generals today and one was totally out of hand sanitizers, aloe, alcohol. Other was out of those and TP. It's just people in panic. Oh -- guys, peroxide works, too.

I can make bread, biscuits. Freezers are full, large amount of canned goods, rice, pasta, beans, elderberries (dehydrated, frozen, juice, etc. I went nuts this summer! Loaded up). Don't use RXs, ample staples, including oils, vinegar, lard, etc.. Lot of first aid supplies, hand sanitizers, alcohol, etc. -- always, as I have animals!! LOL Have 5 goats in milk -- cream, butter, cheese, etc. from that -- hens are laying 2.5-3 doz a day and not all are fully laying! I am good. Homemade soap is plentiful & enough supplies to make several hundred bars in house.

Personally, I feel it is a nasty flu that can be really hard on a poor immune system. It is not anything I want or intend to have if I take the usual precautions. No panic here but, that is because I am in a good situation. Many are not. Many will be in trouble when the stores close with little stock &/or forced, due to people who have no $$ -- job sites close, etc. The trickle down for such situations is more of a consideration to me than the actual virus -- as an event to reckon with.

Guess I'll pick up some extra gas and tractor diesel while I'm out tomorrow, too.

Right now -- I'm washing the pipes with some alcohol -- a beer!

download.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IBM supercomputer Summit at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in TN is working away on a cure.

Summit or OLCF-4 is a supercomputer developed by IBM for use at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, which as of November 2019 is the fastest supercomputer in the world, capable of 200 petaFLOPS. Its current LINPACK benchmark is clocked at 148.6 petaFLOPS

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The panic seems restricted to loo roll and hand sanitiser here so far, but the cruise ships that have been denied entry elsewhere are being re-directed to the coastal city where I do my shopping.

I am just about out of chicken and duck pellets and need a couple more things from the stock feed, debating if I go today or wait until next week when I can get a few more things done in the one trip. I have enough for the weekend so I might wait til after that incase the hoards of people are out stocking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts