Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just hit the community transmission stage here. I am also pleased with how the government has handled it here. I don't think they could have done much better, despite the complaints from many facebook mummies and twitter toads. Boarders are shutting down now, and had it been a more deadly virus, I think they would have done that sooner. I can definitely understand why they have let it into the country as there would be no stopping it from travellers in the long run anyway. I will be interested to see how we go through this with many of our goods going to and coming from China, I am unsure if it will impact it at all really. There may be more jobs available in my area since they have suspended working visas.

I am very thankful to be living out of the city, very glad to have my little block of Eden. I have just returned from a shopping trip down on the coast and was pleasantly surprised at how civil it all was. Not packed out. Some stock was low but I got all on my list besides one thing. Some stuff was more expensive as I had to get brand names and may have been knocked around a bit, I thought it better to pick it up now rather than wait until kids are free from school and risk that germ festival. Now to unpack and organise!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We just hit the community transmission stage here. I am also pleased with how the government has handled it here. I don't think they could have done much better, despite the complaints from many facebook mummies and twitter toads. Boarders are shutting down now, and had it been a more deadly virus, I think they would have done that sooner. I can definitely understand why they have let it into the country as there would be no stopping it from travellers in the long run anyway. I will be interested to see how we go through this with many of our goods going to and coming from China, I am unsure if it will impact it at all really. There may be more jobs available in my area since they have suspended working visas.

I am very thankful to be living out of the city, very glad to have my little block of Eden. I have just returned from a shopping trip down on the coast and was pleasantly surprised at how civil it all was. Not packed out. Some stock was low but I got all on my list besides one thing. Some stuff was more expensive as I had to get brand names and may have been knocked around a bit, I thought it better to pick it up now rather than wait until kids are free from school and risk that germ festival. Now to unpack and organise!
Daisy do you raise a garden?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if the darn sun ever comes out the virus will let up

Ultraviolet light is a great sanitizer. Lots of data supporting the fact. But really no data (yet) if it will be helpful with the Chinese COVID-19 virus or not. However a nice Sunshiny day, sure makes me feel good.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Daisy do you raise a garden?

I try :lol: I have an abundance of pears right now, and herbs, but veg is hit and miss at this stage. I am prepared to plant some more soon. I've got a lovely cottage type garden with a mix of natives throughout, but still learning about growing produce. Storage is an issue for me, and I am quite unorganised at the moment! Although also very proud of being so well prepared so far too! I just dont have a"spot" for everything yet. Plenty of time for that now :D

Loads of sun here, I am thankful for the rain!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I've seen the reports of 18 months as well. We certainly need to be in this for the long haul. I just messaged my farmer friend, and he told me to plant the freaking garden. I'm not ready for that AT ALL, but I guess it will happen. I will continue to buy a little bit extra as long as it is available to purchase in the stores. At least the fresh food is fairly easy to get a hold of. I went back to the store (again :rolleyes:) and bought some celery, for soup. I'll probably dehydrate most of that because the two of us can't use celery fast enough. That way I'll have it to toss in soups and whatever else needs a bit. I just need to figure out how to store those things so they stay fresh.
And now I need to figure out the layout of a garden. I would love to put it around the driveway we just built since there is a ready made slope that I could box in with 2 to 3 layers of boxes, which would sort of be raised beds. But the dirt would be horrible for growing, so I need to amend it quickly if I'm going to, and I have nothing to box it in with, unless I want to go out and buy timbers or something, which I really would prefer not to do right now. I guess I'll work out something. I'm debating whether I should buy seeds online or just go ahead and go to a store and purchase them. I'm a little nervous about starting things from seed, but that won't be too difficult I don't think.
While this is going to be utterly devestating, it is also opening up a window of opportunity for us to change the way we do things to create a more sustainable supprotive environment for everyone. I am looking forward to that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm debating whether I should buy seeds online or just go ahead and go to a store and purchase them. I'm a little nervous about starting things from seed, but that won't be too difficult I don't think.

I say get seeds any way that you can get them.

Bakers Creek announced that it will have shipping delays.

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Order delay
Along with all of you, Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company is confronting the disruptions of daily life caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. We are experiencing a very heavy volume of seed orders at the very time we have scaled back our operations and staffing to ensure the health and well being of our employees, our customers, and the community at large. A percentage of our staff members are working from home. Others who have underlying health conditions or who are otherwise at high risk if they contract the coronavirus are at home on paid leave. Our seed stores in Petaluma, Ca. and Mansfield, Mo. are closed until further notice. We have cancelled our spring festivals for April and May. Our farm is closed to visitors. Customer support by phone is not available at this time, out of an abundance of caution for our employees’ health and safety. We encourage you to email seeds@rareseeds.com with any questions about your seed orders.

We also ask that you allow an additional 7 days for your seed orders to arrive. Trust that our remaining crew here on our Mansfield, Mo. farm is diligently working to deliver your orders — and we are here to support your gardening. All of us are healthy and doing well, and we hope and pray for your health and safety, too.
Thank you for your patience with us, and for the belief you share with us that gardening makes us all more human and more whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts