Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've got 2 Grey Dorking cockerel chicks in my order, along with 6 Grey Dorking pullet chicks, 4 Welsummer pullet chicks, and 4 Black Australorp pullet chicks. Then I have 1 last rooster standing from my old flock (Cogburn), and about 12 older girls- a mix of Americauna and Speckled Sussex that are all about 4 years old now. (I'm getting an average of 3-5 eggs a day from them now). I've lost a few to predators, and a couple just ... died, for no reason I could see.

We had our broody hen in the secondary coop which was built for ducks originally. It's smaller and low ceilings so no roosting in there. We didn't block the door so she could get out and eat and drink. Interestingly, when she left the building, one of the Leghorn pullets always stood at the doorway, as if she was guarding the nest for her, but she never went inside.

It's been 9 days since we put the eggs in the incubator. We candled them last night, and although I could see the yolk as a darker mass, I couldn't see any veins or anything like that... so I think they aren't growing.
eta: My DH pointed out that our flashlight is only 300 lumens, so maybe it isn't bright enough to see what's going on?
How dark are the shells? I find that it's practically impossible to see through a blue or green shelled egg. Dark brown is also difficult. Interestingly enough, the blue duck eggs are almost as easy to candle as a white egg! Try changing your flashlight batteries Also, be sure you are in a completely dark room. Can't even have light coming in under the door. And, give your eyes time to adjust to the dark! If you can't see with that, try taking a table lamp, and constructing a candler. I make a cardboard tube to fit over the bulb and the socket. I wrap that with tin foil, so it occludes ALL light, and only allow a 1/2 - 1" opening at the top. With this candler, I can see through even the most difficult eggs, at least enough to detect the slightest bit of movement to confirm life. How certain are you of the accuracy of your thermostat and thermometer? I calibrate against a good medical grade thermometer. My favorites are 2 old fashioned mercury bulb rectal thermometers. But digital medical thermometers are guaranteed to +/- .1*F.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
everyone always says we are overpopulated and need a plague. I guess they got their wish

Just in the USA, the "potential" for death is 13 MILLION from Chinese COVID-19. I didn't really understand the magnitude, until I did the math 😢 now, I hate math!

Lord, I pray you guide our scientists and leadership to a cure. And that the cure be quickly distributed world wide. It's in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ, I ask this of you. So be it!

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the Holy Bible.

Mathew 7
7 "Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and it will be opened for you.
8 For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened."

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just in the USA, the "potential" for death is 13 MILLION from Chinese COVID-19. I didn't really understand the magnitude, until I did the math 😢 now, I hate math!

Lord, I pray you guide our scientists and leadership to a cure. And that the cure be quickly distributed world wide. It's in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ, I ask this of you. So be it!
Amen.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't wish it upon anyone else, but i'd surely take it on me instead of some child or older person any time.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The State of Ohio governor has been very transparent. They had a TV Q&A session last night where the fatality rate was questioned with regards to the total number of people tested

The state top doctor did say that up to this point, only the sickest had been tested. As more of the general population is tested, the denominator on the calculation will grow, lowering the overall rate. Still is upsetting people are dying, but the data is constantly changing.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

-Aaron Levenstein

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The State of Ohio governor has been very transparent. They had a TV Q&A session last night where the fatality rate was questioned with regards to the total number of people tested

The state top doctor did say that up to this point, only the sickest had been tested. As more of the general population is tested, the denominator on the calculation will grow, lowering the overall rate. Still is upsetting people are dying, but the data is constantly changing.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

-Aaron Levenstein
Our governor has been great too.

I read something on Twitter this morning that I found interesting. The deaths of related cases that couldn't get medical attention for "normal" problems will rise as well. I also saw an article on CNN that suggested this could come in waves for the next 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.