Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For now, I have a propane burner setup I use in the garage. Or did, years ago. Almost 10 years. Wow.

I am a chronic "go big or go home" buyer when it comes to this stuff. Just need to convince myself

I liked your post because it's a guy thing to "go big or go home". From my limited experience... It's easier to stuff jars in the kitchen and can on the stove than it is to do the same in the garage. I have outgrown the kitchen with my beer brewing, but not with canning (yet). I don't envision myself outgrowing canning in the kitchen anytime in the foreseeable future either.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom does all her canning outside on her propane grill. It has spots for pots. She has a corrugated waterbath canner that can't be used on the flat top stove. She uses that and her big stockpot for waterbathing. Also reduces heat in the house which is a huge issue in the desert summer.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does anyone on here use the Tattler canning lids? They are reuseable, have a thin rubber gasket that can also be reused if it doesn't tear when you take the lid off, and are also sold separately from the lids. They are a type of plastic, and work much like the idea behind the old glass top with rubber ring jars.... actually they are somewhat like the old zinc lids with the rubber ring.... They aren't cheap, but will last for repeated cannings. I have a bunch and have used them several times over and have only had to replace a couple of rubber rings. They make them to fit both the regular and wide mouth jars.
Nice to not have the metal ones to throw out and they will never degrade like the metal ones will if you have something stored for several years.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went this morning and there was plenty of sugar, some flour, plenty of breakfast baking mixes, a couple bags of rice and a couple bags of beans, hardly any soup, a few canned meats, some canned milk, plenty of canned veggies, frozen veggies and fresh veggies. I bought an extra box of pint jars and a 4 pack of toilet paper. There was very little toilet paper and no paper towels. Eh...not terrible - not great.

@tortoise - I wish we lived closer - I would share with you. I was recently gifted a 50lb bag of carrots. I've canned carrots and canned carrots and canned carrots, lol. Made some awesome carrot cake and plenty of soup with carrots as an ingredient. I still have carrots! We might get sick of carrots but we should have awesome eyesight for awhile, lol!

Dang! 50 lbs?!? Lots of carrots! Dont forget to shred em and cook em with rice in stir fry (or in veggie stirfry)~
I also cheat and shred some up real fine and mix it with meatloaf, meatballs or sloppy Joe's to get some of the picky veggie eaters at home to eat them. Carrot bread too. Matchsticked and baked with a lil rosemary, salt n pepper is yummy too.

@frustratedearthmother
Some of the stores have stocked a lil bit her, havent seen much of any of your list come back yet.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The county we moved from 5 years ago just went on lockdown. A doctor there has tested positive for Covid 19. Of course he has seen tons of people in his practice. Starting Friday, no one is to leave their homes unless for an essential job. Anyone caught out will be fined and up to 180 days in jail. They are shut down until April 3.

mischief

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are in our first day of lock down and will be for 4 weeks at least. I dont think anybody here was expecting that as we dont have that many cases and havent had a single death from this to date. I do question the timing of this, more so after reading through this thread.

I had ordered some essential oil of Lavender, knowing that this is an antiviral/fungal/bacterial. i also ordered some for my daughters family on an overnight delivery. By 5.30pm yesterday, it still hadnt arrived so I drove 3 hours to deliver some of mine, had a loo and coffee stop and drove home again. Got back 15 minutes late thanks to the South Auckland motorway being closed resulting in a tortuous detour and having to drive behind a curtain truck that hugged the center line making it impossible to see passed him...grrr.

Daughter was able to buy half a beast from her boss, who said they could pay it off over time; not strictly legal unless they say they bought into the beast before it was slaughtered. I doubt they wont get into trouble for it, the law on that is pretty much ignored.

I did worry that if the power went off for any reason, for too long, they might lose their meat, so I also took up a 20 kg bag of 'pool salt' that i had spotted at Mitre 10 (hardware plus store?). I just happened to glance down at the back of a bag and read that it was pure sundried sea salt. Stopped and re-read it, plus the ingredients and decided to get one. I should have got two but was in a hurry. 20 kg for $10 or 50 cents a kilo. We pay around 4 times that at the supermarket.

My work is not essential so no work for me for at least a month. I can apply for a subsidy but arent really willing to go through the aggravation of having to deal with 'Work and Income NZ' for the pittance they will give me. At least I will still have a job when this is over.
Due to having been on 3 week months or even 2 week months in the past, I have learnt to have at least 6 months food in the house, stacked up dried firewood always to hand, an emergency stack in the bank and a bit at home, so I should be okay even without the subs.

Both daughter and her husband's work is considered essential. She can work from home and has said that this is going surprisingly well. He has to go out to work but on reduced hours.
I worried about him as he has had pneumonia in the past and I see him as at high risk. I told them to use a few drops of oil in a spritzer bottle, shake it and spray over his mask and hands/gloves.

I worry for our small businesses. They have to shut if not considered essential and it annoys me that green grocers arent but supermarkets are.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And here I am trying to do things with my overabundance. No one I know of who needs eggs here either.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Read these articles today. I think it is interesting how we have been told for months that it wasn't a big deal. Now, today we are on the verge of a pandemic and the stock market has tumbled.

What are your thoughts?
Guys let's be careful, this is really serious. the incident in Italy made me so nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts