Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just a huge MESS -- everywhere, everyone, everything. What a mess this is. Glad it's the only time in my life I've ever seen such.

After a hurricane, tornado, etc....you see it, fix it and move on. This is just so not like that. So sad. No end in sight. 😩

IMG_20200404_212753.jpg

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are allowing backpackers to extend visas and continue working on farms here. The jobseeker payment is so high now that regular aussies are not going to work for less than that out on farms.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I had a garden to putter around in. Lol

i can keep anyone busy for eons! c'mon up! i'll keep 20ft from you. :) it is kinda funny in an odd way that this year i'm actually ahead of the game for a change. there isn't nearly as much to do in the gardens as "normal" but i have tons of projects to keep anyone busy for a lifetime. i can always dream! :) :) :) can't i? :) :) :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yep. Who's going to harvest for us? (not to mention plant and tend the fields)
Luckily, right now farms are considered essential businesses. So, I think we will be okay for a while.

Vegetable farms depend primarily on migrant labor which has been an issue for years, but I think if things stay the same I don't think we will have much problem later on.

This is just my opinion, but I think the next hurdle on the horizon with this crisis is the seasonality of the virus. I think it is entirely possible that late May or early June this will dissipate and "cautious normalcy" will resume in the summer. However, I think this Fall it will jumpstart again and we will be back in a the climb on cases and deaths. Historically, this is what happens in pandemic scenarios, and is what we see with viruses we already deal with.

Personally, this is the year to hone in on succession planting in the garden and canning whatever you can lay back. Don't panic buy and take from those that need, but when you shop grab a little extra to stock your pantry. If there is a disruption in the harvest we will not fill it until later on.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was just reading about the food supply and that in most places they have 3-5 months supply on hand in the stores and various warehouses and then too the food manufacturing has not stopped so unless we have crop failures for several seasons in a row i think most people will be ok.

those in more rural areas may have a tougher time of it if they lose too many people that it affects planting and harvesting, but them being more remote may limit how many infections they get too.

hard to really know how this plays out.

i know what i hope to plant this year and that is all i can do, keep on, keeping on as usual.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cases have reached 144 in our county - but for the past 5 days we've trended downward in the amount of new cases reported. May it keep going that way. :fl But, like has been mentioned by BB - I also believe that we will drop off a bit for the summer and start up again in the fall. :(

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yes, the story does keep changing. Something over the face is better than nothing over the face. Rubber gloves, also... if you have them. I have been working on making masks today. Got some cut out, having a hissy fit trying to get the pleats to line up, leaving them open at the bottom so a liner can be placed in them. Using Remay for that. We are limiting our exposure to the public. Only going out for necessary supplies: medical and a few groceries now and then, the occasional trip to hdw or feed store. The latter two are very sparsely populated. Hubby has not been willing to wear a mask... so... I tell him that he can wait in the car while I go in to run the errands. No need for both of us being needlessly exposed.

the easiest way for me to pleat is to put middle finger on the top edge (spacer), pinch with index finger and thumb and fold that pleat and press it with an iron. then repeat for each pleat.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Anyone else worried about harvest supply problems in the near future?
yes, I'm growing a bigger garden this year and preserving everything I can. Big motivation to quit being complacent about goals to not be dependent on grocery stores. I think my family can do it but we never bothered to test it out. I'm thankful this is hitting now before the growing season rather than after.

Status
Not open for further replies.