Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
someone mentioned in another place that their wife was not maintaining proper social distance so i replied to take off his clothes...
@tortoise Are you willing to share your pattern for masks? I have one that I was going to adapt for adding a filter so I can just toss the filter material and then wash the used fabric mask part. But, if yo already have a pattern that does that then I don't need to re-invent the wheel.

DITTO.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today during POTUS presser. Some stupid reporter asked why the grocery stores and restaurants are not.closed too. You know our President has a lot of self restraint... I would have said something like, and you graduated from what grade? Tell me people really not that stupid? Please tell me it ain't so.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found a 4 pack of face masks in a cabinet. We gave one to our daughter, she was going to Sam’s for groceries.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got back from CVS drive through a little while ago to pick up a prescription. They are masked up in the pharmacy. I said to the lady who was working the drive though "you know that mask does nothing for your pretty face". I could see in her eyes she was smiling. Mission Accomplished for the day, make someone smile.

BTW, she really is pretty, she's waited on me several times and I've complemented her before, so it was not a lie. She told me it's CVS policy now, that all employees must where a N95 mask. As she was handing me back my credit card. She asked me, if I had hand sanitizer? I said yep as I pulled a jar out the the driver's side door and squirted my hands. I want to believe CVS really does care about their employees and customers healthy and safety. So thumbs up for CVS 👍

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today during POTUS presser. Some stupid reporter asked why the grocery stores and restaurants are not.closed too. You know our President has a lot of self restraint... I would have said something like, and you graduated from what grade? Tell me people really not that stupid? Please tell me it ain't so.
I could, but... would you really want me to lie?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where is this self-restraint of which you speak? Is it when he's hurling insults or giving medical advice?

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2020-04-06-21-06-55.png

Screenshot_2020-04-06-21-06-48.png

Screenshot_2020-04-06-21-07-06.png

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Mine is a mashup of these two patterns. I used more the shape of the FU mask, but had to modify it a lof to myself. DH and vet clinic staff are happy with size medium. Mine is based off size small - but I have a freakishly small head and wear children's size glasses, so... Definitely test it out for fit and be prepared to tweak your pattern.

1586232310028.png

1586232421673.png

I'm using 2 layers of shop towels - the blue paper towels that come in a box - for the filter. The material can block 93% - 95% of particles sized 0.3 microns. Translation - if your mask fits tightly to your face with no gaps, you might get as good of protection from this design as from an N95 medical mask. It's a helluva lot better than a cotton/flannel surgical mask.

I am using cotton jersey fabric (like a good quality t-shirt) for the inside and outside. The metal nosepiece is very important for fitting. I'm using "light duty soft wire tie"sold for staking plants.

1586232975878.png

I'm using strips of t-shirt material for ties. They're soft and stretchy and hold well. They're super fast to make. Cut 1" strip across the grain. Pull the ends to stretch it. It will curl up like a cinnamon stick - cut ends inwards. Looks decent and no-sew. 14" ties work with mine, but test it on your masks before you make a whole bunch!

Masks are less effective - possibly not effective at all - when damp. Change your mask every 2 hours. Workers who need them all day are recommended to have 6 per day.

Wash in regular laundry, with detergent is plenty. But if you feel like you need more, Lysol laundry sanitizer is on the EPA list of products that kill coronavirus. It has been more readily available in stores than other Lysol products.

1586233214312.png

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
m moving on to creative cooking since my fridge is looking bare. Today I'm using up frozen corn to make creamed corn casserole. We don't like creamed corn... :gig

Turns out we really like creamed corn. Not the stupid watery stuff with pureed corn in it. Real creamed corn with actual cream reduction sauce. I poured half an old bottle of ranch in, the end of a sour cream container - maybe 1/2 cup - and ranch spices. Didn't taste to ranch-y, it was good! I'm glad I made a big batch for leftovers! Culinary surprises ahead! :gig

Status
Not open for further replies.