Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
121 cases in my county now. In Titus county, a nearby county, a judge has ordered that all persons entering a store must wear a mask and sanitize their hands before entering. That makes sense to me.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
0 new cases in my state today. We are headed into flu season, so no doubt numbers will rise again. We didn't get to a full lock down stage and hopefully we wont need to from here with random testing starting to catch the asymptomatic spreaders. Alcohol restrictions have been lifted.

The general store reopened today with new owners and another shop will be opening soon, making that more businesses open in town than I have ever seen here!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is kinda rambling, but I've had a couple of thoughts tumbling over each other in my brain lately...

I'm pretty sure Covid is going to be with us forever; but a lot of information is starting to come out that, unless you have other health issues (particularly ones that affect the respiratory system) it's not as dangerous as has been made out to be. I'm not saying this is OK if you are one of the ones at high risk, but you know something? We deal with stuff that could snuff us at any moment all the time. We've been enjoying a quality of life that is pretty much unprecedented for much of human history and I think it has made us less able to face the fact that Life is a terminal condition. The people that are calling for 12 to 18 months of quarantine just aren't thinking clearly. We do that, and there will be a MUCH bigger death rate from starvation, loss of homes and business, despair... and it STILL won't make this disease go away.

I've been thinking about this.... Influenza used to be a much bigger killer than it is now, because of "herd immunity." The same with measles and even bubonic plague.... those diseases are still around, but they aren't as prevalent and not as dangerous as they once were... and perhaps even that which we call the "common cold" may have been a killer virus way back in the dim and distant past while now it's not much more than a couple of days of feeling like c**p. Seems like the longer a disease is around, the faster our bodies recognize it and say "Oh no you don't!" Perhaps that's what will happen to Covid too?

no amount of wishful thinking will bring about magical resistance to this virus in the current form. if you have not been exposed to it you will not be able to fight it off if you get it and unlike a simple cold or the flu you may not be able to predict what it does to your body. as they still are learning about this virus the whole story remains to be told.

short of vaccines or other treatment possibilities i prefer to not take any chances with this one as i have a risk factor and don't relish spending any time in a hospital (there's more of a chance that i'll die of it than make it to a hospital) - along with putting other family members at risk who also have various issues... um, no thanks...

will this virus mutate and become less nasty? perhaps, but more likely what will happen is a vaccine will come about and it will be included with the rest of them and some treatments will exist for those who manage to get the virus.

the worst part to me is that you can have it and spread it without knowing it. imagine being the one person who brings this inside a large retirement community...

don't play stupid, we know what this virus can do and it's not going to be a pretty sight for a while yet. be safe, not a warning or a carrier of harm to others.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had to go for feed today. My horse feed that I have used for 20 years, the closest source is 45 minutes away. We get their pig grower and game bird crumble for the CCX too. We stopped at Walmart in that town to see if there was toilet paper. Imagine my surprise when not only they had TP, but it was Charmin and no limit! It was the big packs of 30 mega rolls, 3 was all I could carry. Turns out, we only need one because our DD scored some for us yesterday. BUT--it's share the wealth, right? I texted a neighbor with 4 boys and asked if she wanted 2 packs and she was thrilled. So I did my good deed for the day.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Way to go Baymule!! I ventured out today to our WalMart. I peeked down the tp aisle: NOTHING. Paper Towels: NOTHING. Pasta: NOTHING. I did snagged a 10 lb bag of flour. They had two left. I almost grabbed both of them but decided not to be a hog.

The town council meets tonight. Keeping fingers crossed that they don't extend the Stay-At-Home past April 27.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They just found over 100 new cases in the area where I work, at 2 different slaughter houses and a packing plant.

The Governor decided that we will begin to relax the Stay-at-home rules 2-weeks after we have 2 weeks of declining # of new cases. "Those that know" estimate that we won't start declining for at least 2 weeks ... that would mean 6 more weeks of stay-at-home before they even start "relaxing" the rules.

We did such a good job of stay-at-home, that we pushed the peak of this infection so far into the future that we can't even see it...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Texas is relaxing the rules and allowing businesses to open back up. It is weird to walk in a grocery store to find someone counting the number of people going in and out. No more that X-number of people including employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.