Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Horrible stuff, it's like China let off a huge nuclear bomb but this Chinese COVID-19 is just as bad, if not worse. I sure hope China is held accountable for all of this craziness.

Just imagine the US military, doing this here in the USA. Crazy ****...

What about good bacteria that's needed to support life? They are going to sterlize everything good or bad.

I quoted that headline to hubby. He commented, tongue in cheek: "I bet they consulted with Monsanto." Monsanto is real good at finding ways to kill everything it touches.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Seems like the longer a disease is around, the faster our bodies recognize it and say "Oh no you don't!"
I don't think that assessment is quite right.

We have annual vaccines to prevent flu and reduce severity of flu for those who are vaccinated and still get sick with it.

Measles is prevented with childhood vaccines or with serum immune globulin (collected from blood of vaccinated people).

Bubonic plague is still with us, but it's prevented with flea control and treated with antibiotics so it won't get a hold and cause epidemics anywhere there is flea control and/or antibiotic.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Covid is going to be with us forever; but a lot of information is starting to come out that, unless you have other health issues (particularly ones that affect the respiratory system) it's not as dangerous as has been made out to be.

Particularly concerning in the USA is that high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity are the worst pre-existing conditions for COVID-19. Those conditions affect a majority of the population, and the USA medical system is nearly incompetent in treating those 3 conditions. COVID-19 isn't necessarily worst for the frail and those with respiratory disease, as we would expect. It seems to be worst for those with underlying metabolic disease - and that's most of us.

We can hope that COVID-19 is the shake-up the system needs to start actually preventing and treating chronic disease? That's about the best possible outcome I can imagine.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
can remember when my brother or I would catch the so-called children's diseases like chicken pox, mumps, and measles, my mom would make sure we spent a lot of time in each other's company so we both caught the disease and gained the immunity. In fact some of the neighborhood moms would send their kids over to play with us too. Back then, it was considered the smart thing to do, because catching those diseases when you were young meant you didn't get as sick as you would as an adult. Somewhere along the intervening years, that wisdom got tossed aside and parents started trying to shelter their children from every wayward breeze.

This is what people did (for centuries) before vaccination. Before vaccination, the only protection was inoculation. However, that was a lot riskier than our current vaccinations. The same wisdom prevails, but wrapped up in the lower-risk package of vaccines.

The wisdom is being tossed aside by the "anti-vaxxers" who leave their children completely unprotected from diseases. And if those children don't contract the diseases in childhood, they may have a much more dangerous run-in with the disease in adulthood. :/ Herd immunity doesn't work when most of the herd isn't immune...

Now I do agree with you about the parenting trend of "sheltering from every wayward breeze" and that it's not beneficial to children. It's becoming very apparent that the generations under age 30 or so have less resilience than older generations. The Millennial lock-key children at least are resilient to being along, but the Zoomers are really struggling right now. I worry what happens when these 2-3 generations of children are adults that largely lack skills, confidence, and resilience. I channel my worry into raising my kids. My kids can be outside in cold weather, and work in the garden, and raise animals, and WORK, and exercise, develop skills and strength. DS13 hates me for it now, but he's 13 and hates me in general, so whatever. DS4 still thinks learning new things and pushing his physical limits is fun.

1587317073064.png

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is kinda rambling, but I've had a couple of thoughts tumbling over each other in my brain lately...

I'm pretty sure Covid is going to be with us forever; but a lot of information is starting to come out that, unless you have other health issues (particularly ones that affect the respiratory system) it's not as dangerous as has been made out to be. I'm not saying this is OK if you are one of the ones at high risk, but you know something? We deal with stuff that could snuff us at any moment all the time. We've been enjoying a quality of life that is pretty much unprecedented for much of human history and I think it has made us less able to face the fact that Life is a terminal condition. The people that are calling for 12 to 18 months of quarantine just aren't thinking clearly. We do that, and there will be a MUCH bigger death rate from starvation, loss of homes and business, despair... and it STILL won't make this disease go away.

I've been thinking about this.... Influenza used to be a much bigger killer than it is now, because of "herd immunity." The same with measles and even bubonic plague.... those diseases are still around, but they aren't as prevalent and not as dangerous as they once were... and perhaps even that which we call the "common cold" may have been a killer virus way back in the dim and distant past while now it's not much more than a couple of days of feeling like c**p. Seems like the longer a disease is around, the faster our bodies recognize it and say "Oh no you don't!" Perhaps that's what will happen to Covid too?

Thank you for your post. This is what I have been quietly saying for awhile, and after talking to several nurses and others in health care here, it is the prevailing thought among many.

People are going to die as you said. No I am not saying ignore it.... but a recent study of 200+ women who have given birth in2 NYC hospitals in the last month, has shown at least 34 have tested positive for C-virus, or had antibodies, and NONE even knew they had been exposed..... So I fully agree that there is A LOT more of it around and that the % of deaths will be much lower than they first came out with and even less than they have revised down to now. I mean how many die from other causes that never even get reported anywhere.....

I do think that there will be a general response by the body to this as we get more exposure and longer into this. I also think that if people were tested regularly for the flu-virus, there would be untold numbers who have had it, a touch of it, or even a few days of feeling miserable, and not really attributed it to the flu..... and then have some immunity.

All the "horrible" diseases like Ebola and HIV and all, are still around but we have managed to "manage" them and not gone into full panic mode over them. YES, people die from it, they will continue to die from it. They also die by the 1,000's from vehicle crashes, and we sure aren't going to stop driving cars, although they try to make them safer so the survival rate is better.... people "die from cigarette smoking", yet some still smoke, they die from bad eating habits and diseases associated with unhealthy lifestyles.... and they continue to eat stuff that is a "heart attack waiting to happen".....
We still have an astounding medical community that is wonderful at saving alot of people from alot of things. Yet we will not all survive to old age.... and some wouldn't want to. Total chaos at this point WILL result in worse things like starvation and other maladies that will stem from that.

I think the response was way overdone in some areas, and that even now we are encouraging people to take advantage of this by trying to control what people do and how they are affected. We are close to collapsing if we don't get back to some what of a more normal life. There are precautions to take at first, but the whole "herd immunity" thing is something that has to happen to make it more controllable.

Something is going to kill each of us, and if it is my time to die from C-virus.... then so be it. But I am not going to try to be the "bubble boy" so that I am never exposed to anything and if I am, it will kill me because my bodies own defenses have never been able to be challenged to protect me. We all make sure our babies (human and animal) get colostrum right off to start the process; but we can't guarantee that it will work for each and every one.

Human life is precious, but as you said, we are not dealing with this as a fact of life, because we have had a pretty good run at not having to deal with anything like this in our lifetime.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@tortoise , I basically agree with you. The thing about the anti-vaxxers is upsetting. I am not against vaccinations.... I AM against giving so much to little tiny babies whose systems haven't even had a chance to start to develop. Too many vaccines, all at the same time and totally overwhelming the child's own systems so that the bodies own immune system winds up shutting down, or going into overdrive and fighting it's self. Add to that some of the preservatives used in them being proven to cause reactions. I saw what a mumps exposure later in childhood did to a friend who was sterile from it.... I know that there are consequences for pregnant mothers with "german measles " exposure.... but putting 3-4-6 different things into a babies system at a couple weeks/months is too overwhelming. He//, it is asking alot to do that to some of the cattle that people are catching and hitting with all these vaccines a few days old. The blackleg vaccine in cattle often will render the natural immunity from a cow as useless if given to a calf before the 6-10 weeks of age..... so why FIGHT AGAINST NATURE? There is a balance if people would just get some sense into their heads.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some very thought provoking discussion going on here. Herd immunity will definitely help and there are diseases out there that will kill us, but have been managed as @tortise said. High blood pressure, obesity and diabetes are mostly self inflicted. I said mostly! People choose to lead unhealthy lives, either from ignorance, complacency or just because they want to. Many here have health problems but strive to improve their lives and health. So there is two sides of the same coin. All we can do is the best we can do.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion, this Chinese COVID-19 virus is something more than your "normal new" virus. I mean all you have to do is look at how the world reacted. What other virus has shut down most all of the world's economies? Why did the world react the way it did?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree about the anti-vaxxing folk carrying things a bit too far. On the other hand, there are some troubling ingredients in vaccines, like mercury (which is being phased out, but the last batch it was added to won't expire until 2023 and they're still using them), formaldehyde, antibiotics, and others. In small doses, maybe it's not a problem; but the medical field is loading more and more vaccine load on children. Considering the clamor to get a vaccine for C-virus, I don't think there will be any extended testing on whatever they come up with either.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The world reacted the way it did because this is a highly contagious virus. Not only contagious, but sneaky and insidious, hiding in people with no symptoms for weeks, but all the while shedding virus and infecting others. It is deadly to people with compromised immune systems, young or old. Even with shut downs, this has swept the world in a very short time. For those out of work and out of money, I hope they can safely return to work soon. It will take time. For retirees like us, it just makes sense to be careful and stay home.

@Britesea, we will be the extended testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts