Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wise words Mini Horses and not in a pandemic panic. I’m stocking up all I can. I’m really going to give the garden a workout this year. Raising 43 Cornish Cross, 25 are sold, probably give the rest to DD and family. 2 feeder pigs, 1 is sold, possibly half of the other one. Might gets calf this fall, haven’t decided yet. Might get another pig. Going to can, dehydrate, and freeze all I can. It’s hunker down and take care of self, family, friends and community.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We spoke to a friend today, she works in hospital supply sales. She talks to hospitals all over the country. She definitely thinks this virus will be around for a long time and as states open up, we will be hit with another wave. Something to think about.

This is a very good article on what it takes to get a vaccine to market.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I agree, this will be with us forever, we'll have a COVID season along with Flu season sort of thing. Hopefully we are lucky enough that it runs seasonally rather than constant!

I will not regret over-planting and preserving more food than I think I will need. But I *might* regret if I don't, if the economy and food supply chain go pear-shaped in the next 6 - 12 months. I'd much rather have excess and be able to share it freely. So that is my plan!! I am doing okay on prepping my garden beds. I didn't think I could, but the efforts I've done over the last 2 years at a permanent bed system and live groundcover is starting to pay off in easier soil prep and dramatically fewer perennial weeds! I might be able to do this now!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Better safe than sorry, right? I think you are on the right track. I know you have worked hard on making your garden easier for you to work in it and it looks like all your hard work is paying off. Pandemic. Who knew? :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Horrible stuff, it's like China let off a huge nuclear bomb but this Chinese COVID-19 is just as bad, if not worse. I sure hope China is held accountable for all of this craziness.

Just imagine the US military, doing this here in the USA. Crazy ****...

What about good bacteria that's needed to support life? They are going to sterlize everything good or bad.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is kinda rambling, but I've had a couple of thoughts tumbling over each other in my brain lately...

I'm pretty sure Covid is going to be with us forever; but a lot of information is starting to come out that, unless you have other health issues (particularly ones that affect the respiratory system) it's not as dangerous as has been made out to be. I'm not saying this is OK if you are one of the ones at high risk, but you know something? We deal with stuff that could snuff us at any moment all the time. We've been enjoying a quality of life that is pretty much unprecedented for much of human history and I think it has made us less able to face the fact that Life is a terminal condition. The people that are calling for 12 to 18 months of quarantine just aren't thinking clearly. We do that, and there will be a MUCH bigger death rate from starvation, loss of homes and business, despair... and it STILL won't make this disease go away.

I've been thinking about this.... Influenza used to be a much bigger killer than it is now, because of "herd immunity." The same with measles and even bubonic plague.... those diseases are still around, but they aren't as prevalent and not as dangerous as they once were... and perhaps even that which we call the "common cold" may have been a killer virus way back in the dim and distant past while now it's not much more than a couple of days of feeling like c**p. Seems like the longer a disease is around, the faster our bodies recognize it and say "Oh no you don't!" Perhaps that's what will happen to Covid too?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
^^^ that's why I think it is a GOOD thing schools are opening first here. The kids can build immunity as it goes around and around and by the time they are adults it will be no fuss for them. Parents are going mental over the idea of it here though. The death rate has been very low where I am, 7 deaths for a state 4 times the size of texas ( in landmass).

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Daisy I can remember when my brother or I would catch the so-called children's diseases like chicken pox, mumps, and measles, my mom would make sure we spent a lot of time in each other's company so we both caught the disease and gained the immunity. In fact some of the neighborhood moms would send their kids over to play with us too. Back then, it was considered the smart thing to do, because catching those diseases when you were young meant you didn't get as sick as you would as an adult. Somewhere along the intervening years, that wisdom got tossed aside and parents started trying to shelter their children from every wayward breeze. In fact I would wager that if a parent was caught willfully allowing the child to catch one of those diseases now, they would lose custody of said child.

Back to the current: the quarantine was NOT intended to prevent people from getting Covid-19, only to prevent everyone from getting it ALL AT ONCE and overrunning the capacity of the hospitals to care for everyone that needed help. That's what "flattening the curve" is about. I think that, sooner or later, no matter what steps are taken, everyone is going to be exposed and either fight it off or not. Constant fear and stress actually makes people more susceptible in the long run. I am one of those in the higher risk category. Trying to avoid the virus by isolating myself forever is no kind of life although I am taking some precautions. But really, all I can do is try to keep my immune system as healthy as possible, and hope I'm one of the lucky ones. If I'm not, I'll see y'all on the other side.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We just can't keep up with ANY economy if we all stay home! There are issues with being infected with CV-19 but, with no work the majority of the population will have no home and no food because of no money. A vicious circle. No work -- no life. Work and risk infection. Banks & landlords will have a lot of vacancies.

I'm for testing, allow those with antibodies to work, isolate if sick, until over it. Those in high risk situations....stay home & wait for more stable times....use protection.

The total disruption of all phases of life & businesses is creating a long term situation. Supplies, transport, re-grouping, all affected. Emotional tolls will be huge! Some irreparable.

I feel our food prep will help carry us through, relieve some stress, help others, etc. Hey, even if we use all the food for our own families, it will "free up" what we would have bought for those who can't/don't grow, to use. That was a big part of the Victory Gardens -- feed ourselves so that food raised commercially could go to others. Transport was down, saved gas, tires, etc.

Currently 2 broody hens....they get eggs to hatch under them this week. I'm renewing layers & meat roos. I do have an incubator, just not wanting to start that for another month....it's about taking care of those hatchlings MYSELF...LOL hens do a better job. Of course, if I coordinate "both" of our hatches, I could slide my hatch under their wings at same time. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts