Coronavirus Concern Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've found the approach of telling people

"No one eats for free"

Does one of a few things. Usually it makes people argue with me πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

One results in "so your gonna make a toddler/child/baby work?"
Well no duh babies cant work, but momma and daddy can with baby in a sling or a pack n play pen. Toddlers after a certain age can start to be shown how to do things, just keep an eye on them. By the time their 'kids' they can pull weeds, sweep, pickup trash/toys, help throw out feed all under supervision till they can be trusted to do so alone.

"What about people with disabilities?"
Just about everyone with a disability has some sort of skill they can do just fine or can learn a skill, even physically or mentally incapable people.

Or just plain balking and complaints about being a bad person who's not willing to help others.

Like seriously, if you dont have a skill it's not so hard to be fully capable of being willing to learn a useful skill if theres a real serious shtf situation.

Sorry all I've got mad feels, complaints and opinions on those variations of "I know where I'm going..."

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the virus so much as all the evils that may occur as a result of the pandemic. A global depression to rival that of the 1930's, global famine, riots and bloodshed by desperate people, skyrocketing rates of suicide, abuse, depression, substance abuse, more opportunistic diseases.

I'm worried about those of us who have been prudent and put food by, and have gardens and livestock, getting all of those things ripped away from them by either rioters or gestapo-like thugs under the orders of our leaders, in the name of "redistribution" Do you really think you can hold them all off with a couple of guns? Maybe the first wave or two, but it won't stop with just one or two attempts. They(whoever "they" are) will come back repeatedly and in more strength, until they get what they want.

I hope that I'm wrong. But I'm worried.

I guess that's where these verses comes into play:

Matthew 6:19-21

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 6:25-26

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

When your Father is God, you don't have to worry about such things.

Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Do the best you can to use common sense about growing food and storing foods for a season, but don't worry about it beyond that. We are not to have a spirit of fear, we don't have to worry like those who don't have trust in God.

Jeremiah 17:7-8

7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.
8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

No worries!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom was set to watch two of her younger siblings when she was 5 or 6 while everyone else was out in the field working. Her brothers who were a year older and younger were in the field helping hoe or move irrigation pipes. Even as a little kid I helped move pipes and weed. I couldn't lift the 50 foot pipes, but I could manage to drag the 25 footers.

Mom also started lunch so everyone could eat before going back out.

She didn't have me doing cooking until I was 7. I helped peel potatoes and prep veggies before that. Potatoes were eaten at every meal except normally breakfast. I still can't use a veggies peeler on potatoes. I learned with a knife and waste less than someone using a peeler as well as do it faster. I've never cut myself doing so as I was taught proper paring.

I don't get this "but kids shouldn't have to work". Even my brothers could cook and follow recipes well before they were 10. Dad insisted they be able to feed themselves. All of us learned how to split wood and start a fire as young kids as well as fishing and how to shoot a rifle. We all had to help weed the garden from as soon as we could actually pull up weeds with our hands.

Youngest brother has been encouraging his daughters (7, 5, and 3) to help cook. The 7 year old got a sewing machine for Christmas from Mom and Mom was showing her how to use it. SIL can't sew but her daughter is pretty good at hand sewing doll clothes. Now she's graduating into her own clothes and accessories.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Hinotori I know a lot of people want their kids to have an easier childhood (lucky kids!), or more often just dont have the time or patience to teach their kids (I mean look how many people have totally gone nuts having their kids home with them over the closures).

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can understand that. I've known too many people though who couldn't run a washing machine or dishwasher, much less boil water because they never had to do any chores. It's oh so fun when you have to live with those people in the barracks. In A school I had one who wanted me to make her bed because she shouldn't have to. She kept trying to make anyone who was in the laundry room do her clothes until the Petty Officer in charge had enough of the complaints and made her spend a week helping in the gym laundry.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can understand that. I've known too many people though who couldn't run a washing machine or dishwasher, much less boil water because they never had to do any chores. It's oh so fun when you have to live with those people in the barracks. In A school I had one who wanted me to make her bed because she shouldn't have to. She kept trying to make anyone who was in the laundry room do her clothes until the Petty Officer in charge had enough of the complaints and made her spend a week helping in the gym laundry.

I mean I'm not suprised theres folks out there who dont know how to do any of that. when I was 19 had a manager who had no idea how to use a washing machine. He was in his 30's and his mom went to his place to wash his laundry every other day.

Also had another person when i was 17, they were older again, dont remember how much older but they didnt know how to use a broom (I thought they were joking, discovered they were not.) , let alone the dustpan. They lasted all of three hours working at the movie theater, because people are 'disgusting'..... I mean not wrong but like, you dont know how to do basic cleaning so...... πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Wow the bed thing sounds like an entitlement thing. I probably would not have been nice about that.
And the laundry thing, sounds like someone got their just desserts for being lazy :/

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to work for a woman who was very wealthy- her husband was the man who invented RediCrete (concrete in a bag). When he passed away, she was completely lost- she had never even written a check, and didn't know how to.
Whenever DH or DS starts pulling the "helpless" routine, I remind them that I may very well die before either of them, as I'm the oldest, with a few health concerns, and they need to know how to make stuff, and the budget, and all the other things I do regularly.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've heard it said that this is a test run, to sort out the "rule followers" from the rebels. Before hubby (and I) retired, I told him that it was my goal to see him be independent to cook a good, tasty, nutritious meal in the kitchen, and actually have a good repertoire before I die. Otherwise, I told him that he needs to go scouting for a replacement for me, immediately.... starting at my funeral! He has stepped up to the plate, and is putting together simple meals, sharing most meal prep with me, and helping somewhat with the canning. Asking lots of questions about the canning process. He's an awesome Jack of all trades. Can think outside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.